Off Roading Forums banner

I just saw heaven... it's a yellow CJ7

1K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
G
#1 ·
I just saw heaven... it\'s a yellow CJ7

I just got home from work. On the way home on the 5, just outside of the San Fernando Valley I beheld the most beautiful CJ-7 ever mfg'd by mankind.

Could it be a frame up restoration? It was lifted (spring under), shackle reversal, trail racks, safari doors, black rear corners... Sounded like a LARGE V8 in there, headers, cat back... At 80mph, NO wander on the freeway! I could barely keep up in the SUV! Anyone know this guy? I want to buy him a beer. CHEERS! PROST!

http://www.obsessiveoffroad.com
If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything...

G
#2 ·
Re: I just saw heaven... it\'s a yellow CJ7

Sorry, but living in Calgary I don't visit the San Fernando Valley all that often, its a little outta my way.

Next time, have your camera with a 200-400mm lens on it to get some nice closeups! Then post them here!

Laters!

Vance - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1985 4x4 S-10 and 1988 Jeep YJ

#3 ·

you missed me driving home from the mud races the other night.. i have a spring over, 35X16 boggers.. 80 mph..no wander...its not that uncommon.. i have built a couple jeeps that have good highway manners

~~Elusive~~
it's sort of still a cj thingy....see it at http://www.jeepgod.net

G
#4 ·

I rode in a cj-7, 350, 35" tires, spring under, no wander on highway, very smooth on road too, national springs. Still flexed great. But this guy owns his own 4x4 shop. My YJ doesn't ride quite as good on road, but mine also has great on road manners and still flex's good off-road.
Oh yes--his CJ was yellow -- paint job looks new--also had the inside coated with some type of tough thick plastic material that matched the paint. He also had an onboard shower!
John
89YJ-350V8,etc.

G
#6 ·

Is yours spring under or over? If it's over there is a tendency to have wonder. Mine is spring under and the cj-7 I rode in was spring under. We both have shackle reversal kits. We both dont' use long shackles either. Sometimes really long shackles used for lift will cause steering/handling problems. Your cj-5 is also shorter and narrower than the cj-7 and my wrangler. That doesn't help you any. My springs are still pretty new--but I dont' even run my sway bars or track bars on-road and there is still no wander or handling problems. I'm not sure what could be causing your problems but I'd check all the basics--shackle length, steering box, steering linkage, etc. Hope this helps.

John
89YJ-350V8,etc.

#7 ·

It has a new drag link with brand new tie rod ends, it has confer shackles and a 4" suspension lift and 1" body lift. Not sure of the brand springs though. All I know is that they are stiff as hell. I'm suspecting maybe it could be the gear box. How does the agr gear box help?

Keith

ITS GOOD ENOUGH /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

#8 ·

you dont need that agr box.. get one from a wagoneer.. they will bolt right in.. you will need the bottom half of the steering shaft also.. since the splines are different.. even the new tj's or a yj will work.. i know the tj's splines are different also.. not sure on the yj.. they pretty much all interchange.. but i would go with a wagoneer..

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

#9 ·

you don't want to know how i got rid of the sloppy steering.. it involves a tj frame under my cj tub.. then i used the cj steering box, and corrected the caster on a spring-over scout dana 44.. then i used new links and made steering. the tj frame mounts the box MUCH better than the cj frame does.. it's also a lt wider.... more stable.. my shackles are.. get this.. 10 inches long.. i am extremely plesed with it's road manners

~~Elusive~~
it's sort of still a cj thingy....see it at http://www.jeepgod.net

G
#10 ·

We just finished my friend's 7, SOA with YJ stock springs and a shackle reversal. 85 mph no wanderring, let go of the wheel take your foot of the gas and it points straight as an arrow.

Swamper104@aol.com
Big 78 CJ5, 95 Chevy 2500 ext. cab, 74 Dodge 200 Power Wagon

G
#11 ·

I Think you just saw Jim Johnson's jeep, corvette Yellow, black corner plates, and black rocker panels and nerf bars, fullcage, 350 INJ, TH400/300, 44's F/R, lockers F/R, winch's F/R, rear rack with gas and water tanks, 35" BFG M/Ts, spring under nat's, and lots MORE !!!!!. He's one of the Four x Doctor built Jeep's.
Mike.

---------------------
Mike Duncan
fourxdoc99@aol.com

G
#12 ·

Must be ARB's... my SOA wrangler rode like a Caddy (albiet a SWB caddy) on road... till i put my Detroit in the back. Now you can steer w/ the gas pedal, and w/ the 4.56's.. i can't do 80.... damn... still a nice ride, if you are gentle oin the throttle.
BJ

"If you chose not to decide, you still have made a Choice" RUSH

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.