Is a ford 9" in a SWB Jeep as bad as some people lead on????? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2000, 10:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Is a ford 9\" in a SWB Jeep as bad as some people lead on?????

I am planning a 9" swap and since some people have done it I am wondering if the low pinion is as big of a deal as some might want youto think. I like the 20 minute 3rd member swap, large aftermarket axle support all the way to 40 spline axles, etc. Any comment?
Aaron

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2000, 11:03 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: Is a ford 9\" in a SWB Jeep as bad as some people lead on?????

The low pinion is one problem. The thing that comes to mind with me is driveshaft length. I'm having trouble with d/s length in a relatively stock CJ5. If I was to swap in a 9", I'd have to go with a HIGH pinion. The stock 9" hog's head is huge compared to my AMC20.

IN2DEEP 78 CJ5 302 FORD T176/D300 35" BFGS
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2000, 11:08 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a TJ so I am not as bad off as a CJ5. I know poeple have done it on YJs with out too much trouble. I would never spend the insane amount of $$ for a high pinion 9".
Aaron

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2000, 11:57 AM

I would like to hear more opinions on this topic...

I have a set of early bronco axles at my disposal, and I was considering them for a rock climber...

I have virtually no experience with 4X4 suspension or dirvetrains past the transmission tail shaft, I'd like to hear the pros and cons...

"I Have The Body Of A God... Buddha"
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2000, 12:36 PM

I have a freind who swapped in the full width F-9", and D 44 from a Ford 1/2 ton onto his 95 YJ. He is a cappable driver and as far as strength, it is a rock solid set up. But he is constantly fighting with clearance problems,in the rocks, which is what he built it for. He is seriousely rethinking his choice of both the 9" low clearance and the full size width. Ive never driven it, but he does struggle, where he used to shine.

Jeff
89 Wrangler
If at first you dont succeed, your replacement will try and try again.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2000, 12:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I don't think the low pinion will be that big of a deal with a CV driveshaft. It will basically keep the business end pointed up. I know people that have 9"ers in XJs with standard driveshafts and they never hit their pinion in the rocks. I guess I will do it anyway and see what happens.
Aaron

post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2000, 06:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

My buddy John did a D44 full width onto his CJ7, and is running 38.5" Super Swampers .. he doesn't seem to have any problems ..

Take a look at his "Orange Crush" at members.home.com/jeeps

Laters!

Vance - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1985 4x4 S-10 and 1988 Jeep YJ
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2000, 09:36 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I can see where tight woods trails could make it a pain if you were really wide.
Aaron

post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2000, 09:39 AM

I like 9", strong rear with easy access, "fairly" easy to find discs on 'em. The low pinion COULD cause a problem on some setups. A CV joint on the front of the rear driveshaft is MANDATORY, in my opinion, on a jeep with a standard 9". This is the stock setup on the EB's. Gears / parts are cheap and available for them too.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Big Ed
<font color=red>'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,33's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c</font color=red>
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2000, 01:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah that's my point. Gears are $115. A whole 3rd member with a spool is only $425. Axles range from $125 to $185 with bearings, studs, seals, and all. Disc brake setups are easy to do AND you can swap the gears on the trail in 20 minutes if you have a spare 3rd member with you. It is like having an entire spare rear end that is easy to swap broken parts out of. Of course the pinion is low but I don't think it is that bad. The high pinion 8.8s pinion sticks out farther than the 9" and it is supposedly 3 3/4"s higher. What does that equate to angle wise. I would like to see some figures because I don't see how it could be that bad. Early Broncos put 6"s of suspension lift on and don't need CV shafts. They have a little better wheelbase but still. I don't see how a 4" lift on a TJ with CV shafts and a SYE kit could be all bad. Oh and remember that Currie used to run regular 9"ers in their awesome YJs and they were the cream of the crop for driveable rock crawlers.
Aaron

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode