Does this timing sound right? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2000, 10:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Does this timing sound right?

I installed the Weber & HEI and have 40,000 original miles on the engine. The sticker on the hood says 9 deg. BTDC at 1600rpm. When I set it to these specs, it is sluggish and it runs rich with black smoke and bad smell out the exhaust (which it has always done even before the Weber/HEI). At 0 deg. TDC set at idle it purrs and runs almost great on the road, with less smoke and smell (not completely gone). But when checked with this setting and 1600 rpm, the reading shows about 16 BTDC (no pinging). I heard that timing should be set as far advanced as possible without experiencing "pinging" at load. Would I run into problems by advancing it higher than the 16BTDC at 1600rpm (0TDC at idle) that it shows now? Would this cure the smoke and smell problem?

Doug88YJ
258 I6, Weber, GM HEI
God Bless Conservative America
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2000, 10:50 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Does this timing sound right?

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Hmmmm......I suspect that the distributor is not in there in the right spot. Perhaps you need to begin all over with your distributor laying on the bench and the timing mark on true TDC at the top of the #1 compression stroke and then go from there. CHECK EVERYTHING....the wires, the firing order, the position of the rotor relative to the trigger...see earlier posts on this very thing.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] transfer case team.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2000, 12:12 PM

Re: Does this timing sound right?

Sounds like CJ Dave is giving good advice... (Again!!)
You have something wrong somewhere...
You should be able to handle at lest 6 to 8 degrees before TDC with no problem...

The 258 AMC I-6 will run stupid if the distributor is 180 degrees out...
We just went through this with a guy here on the BBS.
(As I remember, he was a pretty talented amateur, and just had a bad day...)

It sure would explain a lot of things real quick...

You may also check to see if the wires (firing order) on the cap are not one tower off...
Retarding the timing would help that situation also...
--------------------------------

The advance coming in as RPM increases is normal.
It's called 'Centrifugal' advance. Most commonly referred to as 'Mechanical' advance.
Around 13 to 16 degrees in absolutely normal for a GM style HEI.
I wouldn't do anything to add any more until your Initial Timing mystery is solved...

Once the mystery is solved, you can play with the vacuum advance, and with springs for the centrifugal advance...

Good luck, Aaron.

"I Have The Body Of A God... Buddha"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode