Big Block in a CJ - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2000, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Addict

Big Block in a CJ

Has anyone seen or had any experience putting a big block chevy into an earlier (1971) CJ? I want to build my CJ-6 on the wild side and ran across a 454. There is no substitute for cubic inches.

CJ-8, CJ-6, Cherokee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2000, 11:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Big Block in a CJ

I've seen pictures of two CJ7s with 454s, a CJ5 with a 440, and a 8.0 Dodge V10 in a TJ. It can be done. I actually looked at putting a 427 in mine about a year ago but then when gas prices started going up I reconsidered. The problem is having enough room under the hood for fans to keep the engine cool. Also the big block isn't a light engine so the front suspension would need upgraded. It can be done, not as easy as say a 350, but it can be done. I don't want to talk you out of this b/c it is a wild swap.

Tim Springer
1980 CJ7
<font color=green>WALSTIB</font color=green>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2000, 01:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Do you plan on doing much Hard core stuff?? if so you may want to move the firewall/Dash setup back a few inches (3-4) It'd give more room under the hood, and if the motor, trans, transfer case were all slid back too, it's be better for weight distribution. With a 6, you wont have to worry about rear driveshaft length (tooooo much). Hell this thing sounds awesome... maybe a big ole FAT Blower sticking out the hood.... (nothing quite like having motor showing)SOA on 38" boggers, full width 60's.... Full Cage, AtlasII, 4 Bucket seats, maybe 1/4 eliptical in the rear... AWWWW yeah... Paint it Bright Yellow, and call it the "Rock Limo"

The only problem would be the Comunist Air Research Board.... CARB.. especially in CAli. Do it, even if it is trailered

BJ

"If you chose not to decide, you still have made a Choice" RUSH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2000, 09:37 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Bob, just my .02 cents. On an early CJ I think you would need to box that open "C" channel frame to handle the torque of a big block.

Gary
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2000, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Addict

I was planning on boxing the frame regardless of what I put in. I think I have a set of 60's out of a diesel Chevy truck. ($300 believe it or not) I still have to verify that they are.

I don't think that CARB will be a problem being it is a 71. No smog. Also, I live in a no smog county. If I go full length axles it won't be street legal anyway.

Do they make a 4 to 1 type set up for the NP 205?

Anybody know how much the Warn coil suspension set up is running these days?

CJ-8, CJ-6, Cherokee
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2000, 06:10 PM
Keyboard Implanted

did i hear BIG BLOCK? now that is what i like to see.. yes i agree.. full width axles.. the whole enchilada.. make some fender flares out of some old semi mud flaps.. that would make it legal.. oh ya!!!!

survival is instinct, but living takes guts
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2000, 09:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I had a BB in my CJ-7 (454). She got really hot in traffic and rock crawling (I ran dual pusher fans). My problem was it was an insano 454 with a huge cam. Stay close to stock with it and you should be ok. I went to a 383 stroker....due to the CJ's light weight the power to weight ratio must be close to the same as it has gobs of power or maybe I never really utilized the BB full potential. Go for it!
wayne

post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2000, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Addict

I am curious what you did for the radiator. Griffin I understand makes some nice radiators for custom set ups.

Also, did you run pusher fans with the engine powered puller?

I think with a big block you just might not even need the gas pedal for rock crawling. The torque should be pretty substantial at idle.

I guess the next question would be: Automatic or manual. I have an SM-420 and an NP-435 on the garage floor. My friend seems to think that an automatic is the way to go. Any response?

CJ-8, CJ-6, Cherokee
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2000, 12:29 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

One thing to consider, on the '71 and earlier CJs, is that the wheelbase, fenders and hood are approx. 4" shorter than the later models. Not much room for the radiator/fans needed to cool a 454 (Not to mention fitting the bigblock!). If you are going to box, rebuild, and bulletproof the frame, extend it so you can use the later model fenders and hood, like those on your CJ8. Just a thought!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode