Full Floating Dana 44 (homebrew version) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2000, 09:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Full Floating Dana 44 (homebrew version)

I'm in the proccess of rebuilding my axles, 30 front/44 rear (from a 74 cj5) and I got to thinking....

Could you swap the spindles from a front Dana 44, let's say from a wagoneer, to the rear along with all the brake hardware. Then for axle shafts have a pair from a wide track wagoneer cut and resplined (should be plenty long for a narrow-trac CJ rear 44). I could do a disk brake swap to the front to keep the same bolt pattern (and keep from having disks in the rear only if the donor wagoneer had disks up front originally). Resplining axles are a lot cheaper than a Warn full-floating kit ($100 vs $600). Plus you could get a cheap rear disk set-up. All the parts could be obtained from a local junk yard for next to nothing, about $150 or so. $250 for full floating rears and 4-wheel disks sounds good to me.

Any input would be great.

My name is Ted, and I'm a Jeep-a-holic. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2000, 09:10 PM

Re: Full Floating Dana 44 (homebrew version)

thats basically what a full floater conversion does, ad a spindle and a hub on it

youve already got it figured out that you need 2 new longer axle shafts, you might have a problem getting the axle shaft diameter correct to fit into the hidden inside spindle bearing..

also sometype of pressed flange or collar to keep the axle located ( not too far in or out) will be required.

once you get all of that licked youll simply need a bracket for a caliper, and teh hydraulics figured out..

easier/cheaper in my mind to just get a Dana60 and convert to disks..

OzarkJeep
77 CJ5, in a bunch of sanded and primered pieces
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2000, 09:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

How about some sort of snap ring to hold it from sliding back and forth, that's all the front has.

Oh, not to be critical, but I don't know where to find a dana 60, full floater, with disks, that would fit under my flatfender for $250. Last I checked, dynatrac was asking $1500-$2000. Plus the pinion is too far forward, read as no rear drive-shaft. The Reverse cut 60 might work, but only about 50% stronger than the 44. May be I should look into the Currie High-Pinion 8.8. Anyone know what Currie is asking for their high-pinion third member?

My name is Ted, and I'm a Jeep-a-holic. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2000, 10:02 PM

I've been told that you can do it using a late model jeep or ford hub. Then a jeep or ford spindle,disk or drum will bolt right up. Also was told Moser can supply the axles for around $200. Was checking on upgrading my older 19 tapered d44. Just hearsay as I haven't tried it yet.

C-Ya.....................kh
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2000, 10:07 PM

Dynatrac is asking a more than $2000 for a complete D60 rear with disc brakes. Currie is about $3000 with rear disc binders. An 8.8 from a 95 or newer Explorer could work for you with modifications to the hubs to accomodate the 5 on 5 1/2 bolt pattern, and include rear discs. The disc brake version has the added advantage of being semi floating, using the disc brake backing plate bolted to the flange on the axle housing to retain the axle. Cost is about $500 for the axle assy at a wrecking yard. Strength is comparable to a 31 spline Ford 9", but the pinion does not hang low as on the F9".

Jeff
89 Wrangler
If at first you dont succeed, your replacement will try and try again.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2000, 10:32 PM

yeah snapring, thats what I was missing when i was thinking thru that!

I really dont think you can do it all for $250, but go ahead and try , and then please let me know how it turns out.

OzarkJeep
77 CJ5, in a bunch of sanded and primered pieces
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2000, 08:12 AM
Robert87yj

Hey, $2000, that is expensive. I don't know about where you are at, but here in Atlanta there are a lot of them. You can go by most junk yards and find them under Ford and Doge vans. Most can be had for around $200-$300. Get out your copy of the yellow pages and call some local yards in your area. They can't be that hard to find.

Good luck with your searches.

Robert87yj[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
<font color=blue>engine rebuild w/4.0 head done, now for the MPI</font color=blue>
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2000, 04:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Personally, I think you could do anything you wanted. If you have your own machine-shop capability, and welding, you could do it for 'dirt'. As for using the front spindles, hubs, and brake parts, just look at some of the stock early jeeps. That is exactly what jeep did. Here's an off-beat example from my own stable.... I wanted to retain the stock-looking appearance of the rear axle on a WWII jeep. (Stock, it came as a full-floater, with a weak 23 differential and axles.) And, I wanted to put a 44 under it. So, I grafted on the full-floating parts from the model 23, used later brakes, and used early CJ front spindles and hubs. The 44 diff came from 'who-knows-where'... I picked it out of the boneyard. And, I have no idea what the axles came from. They are boneyard items, too, that were re-machined to fit. I picked them off the ground, in the area where the vans and pickups sit. The point is, you can do whatever is within your capability or budget.

bobH
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2000, 06:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

see new post below...

[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode