On-board air for a chevy powered CJ - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2000, 06:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

On-board air for a chevy powered CJ

First let me say this, I did an on-board air intall on my last jeep and loved it. I know the in's and
out's of using a York compressor for this. However that used FACTORY brackets on the 360. Now
I want to do the same in my CJ3B.

Here's the problem, what is the easiest way to get onboard air for a Chevy 350? Is there a stock
compressor that can use factory brackets? I have a York sitting on my work bench now, and It
looks like a PITA to make it fit. If anyone knows of a compressor that GM used with a internal
oil bath let me know. Or if anyone has made custom brackets for mounting the York I'll give
you a few bucks for the plans!

Thanks!!!
Ted

My name is Ted, and I'm a Jeep-a-holic. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2000, 06:41 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: On-board air for a chevy powered CJ

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] You might want to begin with a CHEVY A/C compressor bracket set, and where the saddle is, cut it off flat and weld your square mounting plate, then move the intake manifold-mounted stiffner forward a couple of holes and bolt THAT to the rear bolt pattern of the compressor. You can drive it from the same set of pulleys that GM uses to drive the A/C compressor. Lay it flat with the ports outboard....BUT...the inlet of the compressor has to be the top hole or it will cough up oil, so examine the unit and see which port is inlet. You CAN modify it if it turns out that the suctiuon is on the bottom. My moonguys[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] to know if you are sending them any $$ for cokes.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]They are off beer for a while.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] transfer case team.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2000, 08:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm having a hard time picturing what you mean exactly. Could you throw a quick diagram together and post it? Or if you want to snail-mail it to me that would surely earn the [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]moonguys[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] some $$ for a Coke!

My name is Ted, and I'm a Jeep-a-holic. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2000, 10:37 PM

You can use the A6 air conditioning compressor that came on older GM trucks and large cars. It has its own oil sump, high air volume, high pressure(close to 400lbs., mine shut off @ 120 lbs) and it bolts right on with factory hardware. I wanted new stuff and NAPA had all the parts I needed but there are alot of used ones around. I use mine with a 7 gal. tank because I use my air tools all the time. Air up a 33x12.5 from 15 lbs to 30 lbs in 15 seconds. Been using this for about 3 years with no problems. There are a couple pictures at my web site if you'd like to see, just click PYRO below.

Wayne in Hawaii
PYRO II, 77CJ5
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2000, 04:39 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] The little moonguys[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]are saying that you would use the GM bracket as a base and fab up a square mount for the top of it and set a big York on that plate, bracing the York in the back with the GM intake manifold bracket as well. Hmmmmm....that A6 setup sounds pretty good. I like the York because it is lighter in weight however, and covers up less of the engine.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]When it's daylight, I'll take the moonguys[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] with me and look at our 350 powered GM pickup with A/C. I can sketch out a diagram from that.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] transfer case team.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode