Questions about replacign a single cylinder MC with a dual cylinder MC in an older CJ - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2000, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Questions about replacign a single cylinder MC with a dual cylinder MC in an older CJ

Looking at my brakes and i need to replace the set up. My question is there any master cylinders with a dual resviors that will bolt in to my frame mounted location?? It sounds weird, but i don't want to fabricate that much for swing down arms and such. I am going to disc front and drum rear and need to upgrade the master cylinder, because i am worried about losing my brakes since i notice one of my rubber brake lines rubbed on my tire and almost got all the way through. I want to keep the linkage that i already have, but need to replace the MC. Thanks for any help
Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5 "Caloosa Jeepers" member

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2000, 11:48 AM
69CJ5

Re: Questions about replacign a single cylinder MC with a dual cylinder MC in an older CJ

Dan-

I recently replaced my master cylinder while converting front to discs.
The late 60's CJ's had a dual reservoirs, that mounted on the frame like
yours. I too did not want to go to suspended pedals. You will need to
remove the residual pressure valve from the master cylinder, since drum
rear brakes will still need their residual pressure valve. Also, the rear brakes will then become too effective, so you will need an adjustable proportioning valve.

I used a Wagner dual master cylinder as a direct replacement for my '69 from the local Bumper-To-Bumper dealer,
# F59802. Not cheap (about $100), but a direct bolt on.
The proportioning valve came from 4WD Hardware, # 5249088 (about $50).
Hope this helps.

Jerry

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2000, 12:27 PM

Re: Questions about replacign a single cylinder MC with a dual cylinder MC in an older CJ

I think that's what I've been looking for! Does the 69 use the same M/C the older CJ2 does? I want to upgrade to disk front and rear but don't want to go with swing pedals either.
Thanks for the post.
Keith

C-Ya.....................kh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2000, 12:41 PM
69CJ5

Keith-

The '69 used a DUAL chamber MC, while my dad's '48 CJ2A had a single chamber. I believe Willys changed them in 1966 when they introduced the V6. Hence, Dan's need to upgrade his '63 CJ5 single chamber.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2000, 12:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

A 69 will be a dual chamber master cylinder, a CJ2A will be a single. The 69 has a different mounting bracket to accompany this. But here is the answer to your next question the CJ2A and single cylinder CJ5 have different m/c though they are very similar.

mcj115 1952 M38A1(2),1964 CJ6,1966 CJ5,1979 CJ7 360 33's, Bantam trailer, M416 trailer and...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2000, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Thanks Jerry that is exactly what I needed to know. With the unsafe feeling the 9 inch brakes give me, at least I can have a new master cylinder first then get the discs and 11 inch drums after. The one cylinder scared the hell out of me just because the brakes now have to have be pump 2 or 3 times to get brakes. And it seems to never hold pressure. As soon as i get the cash off i go to upgrade.
THanks alot
Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5 "Caloosa Jeepers" member

post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2000, 07:52 PM

Thanks for the info. How hard would it be to mount the duel mc inplace of the single mc? I'm planning on disk f&r. I have a set of 11" drums but they don't look like that big of an upgrade over the 9". Already have the parts located, chevy brackets/calipers jeep rotors, just need to pick them up.
Thanks
Keith

C-Ya.....................kh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode