Killing Trees in Tellico!!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2000, 04:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Killing Trees in Tellico!!!

I just returned from the Smoky Mountain Venture in Tellico ORV. The jeeping was great but what I saw going on the trails makes me want to puke. My group had just completed Lower 2 or the Rock Garden on which I was the designated wench monkey and were watching the next group come up the trail. I noticed that the two lead jeeps each had a 8 ft. length of heavy chain attached to their wench cables. My fears were realized when I watched them run out to a tree and wrap the chain around the tree to pull them past the next tough part. No tree strap, just the chain....it was their "tree saver chain"! It was no wonder that all the trees along side the trail are dead or dieing. Each had a hugh scar around their base from the previous moron who did not bother to use a strap. Soon there will be no trees to attach to. These were not beginner jeepers either based upon the size of the rigs, modifications, monster tires and motors. I have ridden those trails dozens of times but I and my friends was truely shocked by the condition of the trails and the trees along them. It is no wonder we are losing our jeeping habitate when it is destroyed in this manner. My only regret is that I was not brave enough to walk down there an tell them to their faces because I don't think I would have changed their behavior. Sure that chain will out last any strap, sure it really makes your rig look tough hanging on the front and oh yeah it saves so much time not having to fool with a strap and clevis. But when the nearest tree is farther than your longest wench cable then what????
Shame on me for waiting until I got home to vent.

-Will
'85 CJ7 (original owner)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2000, 04:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Killing Trees in Tellico!!!

Maybe there should be an education program for off-roader's? They have programs to keep kids from drinking, smoking, etc.. The off-road shops should probably have poster's giving these very important tips.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2000, 04:17 PM

I would say not just posters, but the operator/workers at the off road shops should find out what the people intend to do with the chains and stuff, and explain what is and isn't acceptable, when they need stuff like a tree saver and things of that nature... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Tim
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] '79 Suburban 4x4 454, 35x12.5s
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] '85 S15 4x4 2.8l, 235/75's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2000, 04:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Stuff like that is so incredibly counter productive to our cause of trying to keep trails open that it makes me sick. I'm at the
point that I see absolutely no excuse at all for stupidity, and if people persist on acting that blatantly stupid they are only
asking for what the GAGs are after. Next time you see that happen, PLEASE give them a piece of your mind. I've done it before,
at the Rock Crawling Championships last fall in Farmington there was some kid in a pickup blasting all over spraying spectators with
sand, I went up to him and told him I was going to take away his keys if he didn't knock it off. You don't have to be quite so pushy,
but at least get the point across that stupidity will NOT be allowed.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2000, 04:54 PM
DRM
Keyboard Implanted

2 Points...

1. The use of a tree strap is a relatively new thing, as is "PC" (Politically Correct) 4 wheeling. Understand there are many out there who don't see using a chain as a problem - they have bene doing it their way for most of their life - changing their life habbits is not something that happens overnight... I am not defending what they do, but you have to understand the problem before you can hope to fix it.

2. You should be ashamed. It is useless to sit around here "preaching to the choir" - do something about it THEN & THERE...

<a href="http://www.tennessee4x4.com/toyota">
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2000, 06:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 2 Points...

As for the PC wheeling, I have only been in the game since '93 but when I started everyone in my club was using straps locally and we don't even have many trees here. Wheeling is at a high point right now but we all have to be extremely sensitive to our lively hood/hobby. I freely and willingly help in my club to instruct proper techniques to our members. But how many people would have gone down to the other group and informed them of something that has been common knowledge for several years now? No one from my group of 12 adults was motivated enough. Sure we groussed about it and could not believe they would be doing that, but no body wants to go up to a stranger and tell them they are doing something wrong to trees. The Greens sure would not have had trouble getting the word out! and we see them as offensive. I will make a point of addressing the issue next time. This just got me going....I love the Tellico region and I love wheeling but I don't like to make a public fuss. I guess I have.
-Will

post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2000, 06:41 PM

If you had been carring a GLOCK, like everybody wants you too, you could have just shot the non-compliant bastards..

( thats a JOKE)

I can imagine it would be pretty hard to walk up to a group of strangers and change what they are doing. The trick is to have a BIGGER group of good/educated wheelers to educate/realign the tree killing dip****z
or you could take pictures, send them to the sherioff, DMV, whoever handles hat sort of thing ( they would all deny handling it for sure) maybe send the photos to a green group and let the tree killing guys defend themselves agains them!

OzarkJeep
77 CJ5, in a bunch of sanded and primered pieces
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2000, 07:00 PM

I certainly hope you were joking about handing pictures of uncaring or uneducated off roaders harming the trees, for example, to the green groups, because they (the greenies) won't just go after the people that were responsible for it, they'll use it to go after all off roaders, and close down our trails and shut down the sport.

If you were serious about giving pictures like that to a green group, that's the worst advice I've ever heard... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Tim
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2000, 07:02 PM

so you are saying that your offroad forays come BEFORE the trees?

ahh, I see the mentality now!

You cant HIDE these things you goofball!
that looks even worse TO ECERYBODY!

you have to expose and eliminate that stupid [censored]!

OzarkJeep
77 CJ5, in a bunch of sanded and primered pieces
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2000, 07:17 PM

Who is the goofball? Those that would broadcast whatever stupid stuff happens. We don't have to answer to the environmental groups. They shouldn't be just given photos of that type of damage. We should talk to those that we see that are causing the problem, and if that's not enough, let the police handle it. The environmentalists will not acknowledge that it was an isolated incident, they will make it out to look like all of us off roaders do stupid things like that.

I'm not for hiding it, I'm just not for giving that stuff to the environmentalists, at least make them work to get their own photographs (like in make them walk in, or find another way in). There is a difference between hiding something and not showing that something to some group. When you hide something you try to cover something up. The Government and the Environmentalist groups hide actual facts from the public. Yes, they cover it up. Blatantly lie about it. I'm not advocating we do that. I am advocating not showing them the photos, and if they want to find it, they can get their little butts out of their recliners and find the damage themselves.

And NO MY OFF ROADING DOES NOT COME BEFORE THE ENVIRONMENT OR THE TREES I like the trees, I hate to see people harm the trees, the reason I off road (one of the reasons) is to go out and enjoy seeing the trees, the rocks, the undergrowth, the senic beauty of the area. I do not approve of advising someone to give (or giving) anything that will give our sworn enemy (those that have vowed that they will not stop until our sport is eliminated) more ammo to use against us...

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode