Off come the Axles! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2000, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Off come the Axles!

I am planning to install new gears and lockers, the machinest has requested that I remove the axles to facilitate installation. While I have the axles off and appart, any suggestions on maintenance and modifications that should be addressed. D44 rear getting 3:73's and and detroit, and D30 getting ARB.

Enjoying Montana's Big Sky (& rocks & rivers & mountians etc, You get the picture.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2000, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Re: Off come the Axles!

Any Comments?

Enjoying Montana's Big Sky (& rocks & rivers & mountians etc, You get the picture.)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2000, 05:30 PM
Keyboard Implanted

ARB seems like a lot of $$$ to spend on a dana 30......when that 7 inch ring gear shatters and the teeth destroy the arb,, you might have been $$$ ahead starting with a different axle..

~~Elusive~~
it's sort of still a cj thingy....see it at www.jeepgod.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2000, 05:49 PM

I not keen on teh dana 30 either, but to address the actual question

bearings/knuckle ujoints/brakes-hydraulics and hardware/ make sure your axle vent fittings are sealed off well and ad new longer breather hoses
maybe relocate shock mounts
this would be agood time to remount spring perches if you have a pinion angle problem, or currently run shims to correct it
clean and rust protect

OzarkJeep
77 CJ5, in a bunch of sanded and primered pieces
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2000, 06:26 PM
Keyboard Implanted

DO NOT waste that money on a D30.. it wont last long.. and then you will be really P.O'd.. if you dont do hardcore you dont need the arb in the front.. a good posi would suffice.. and if you do plan on running hardcore.. well that d30 wont hold up to warm butter with an arb in it..

survival is instinct, but living takes guts
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2000, 07:31 PM

That was more Gloom and Doom than I usually dish out on the D30.
Well I dont completely agree with all the negative on the D30, I have been running mine for over 3 years now. About a year and a half with an ARB and all of the Warn locking hub stuff and hugh strength axles. And although I have busted this darn axle many times,and in so many ways, I have yet to break the Ring or pinion gears,(must be a testimant to my gear set up prowess).Honestly though I have been running 4.56 gears(US Gear),and ARB, for quite a while through some brutal terrain, and Ive found the U joint at the outer shafts are easily the weak link,(untill my recent breakage at the right side, inner axle spline directly adjacent to the ARB).That particular break baffles me because it was a high strength axle. It was also the straw that broke the camels back as far as my continued improvements to the D30, and it is only weeks away from being replaced with a D44. But it has worked well for me(and I have a reputation that I could break an Anvil), through some rough conditions.

Jeff
89 Wrangler
If at first you dont succeed, your replacement will try and try again.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2000, 07:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

hmm i got an 81 cj 7 amc 20 rear i just threw 4.56's arb in the rear with 1 peice mosser axles .. this a good combo ? also in the front i put 4.56's with a detroit trutrack .. was wondering how i could beef up the front axles .. only running a 258 with weeber 38deg carb so not to much power

post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2000, 08:24 AM
Keyboard Implanted

that amc 20 with moser shafts.. will hold up great.. atleast it should.. they are actually a hair bigger than the d44.. the amc weak link is the 2 piece shafts.. and sometimes the tubes twist.. but i wouldnt worry about twisting the tubes.. i have never seen it.. just heard about it.. Elusive is running practically the same set up..
d30 with you 258, and a posi.. should do alright.. but like stated above.. the outer u-joints in the axle shafts is the weak link .. unless you have a full locker.. and then.. well... seen plenty of R&P go.. but posi are much more forgiving...

survival is instinct, but living takes guts
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2000, 08:56 AM

Lots of D30 bashing here... I've been running a D30 lets see now... since 87 on my YJ and it seems to be doing just fine with 33x12.50 tires and for the last 4 years it even has 4.56 gearing and ARB's. According to the posts above it should have died long ago. I have found that if you thrash your vehicle it will break and I don't care what you have in it. This Jeep no longer is a daily driver it just see's the trails anymore and some of the toughest ones around. I've found it is more capable than the driver in some cases.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
GP'n

post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2000, 08:58 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Do you recall a thread we had going a week or so ago about building a super-articulating Jeep? Well, in that thread there was some talk about a "wishbone" setup for the rear axle. It is my belief that the correct treatment for a model 20 would be a torque arm TO THE PIGGY.....DIRECTLY TO THE PIGGY....so the axle tubes are not involved in the torque-delivery process....it would then be just between the piggy and the torque-handling member. The pinion "climbs" the ring gear....the pinion pushes UP on the nose of the piggy...the piggy tries to rotate up, but is restrained by the axle tubes which are clamped into the springs. You can see that the tube attachments to the piggy have to take the strain, WHEREAS if the PIGGY ITSELF were torque-controlled, the tubes would not even know anything was going on. You could use a three-point attachment....clamp the two sides where the tubes enter the piggy, and one clamp on the nose where the outer pinion brg is......no welding......then use a "Vee" type torque arm with heim joints like the one shown on the thread. One arm would be enough...one side only. This would overcome any deficiency inherent in the model 20.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] transfer case team.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode