OFF TOPIC--BUT related to gears - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2000, 12:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

OFF TOPIC--BUT related to gears

I was running my boat this weekend. It died suddenly. No bang or pop. Just thought it was bad gas from sitting all winter. Started back up fine, went a little ways and it sounded terrible--like the prop was loose. But it wasn't loose. Tried to go again--this time no forward or reverse--prop wouldn't even spin. Drained the lower unit gear oil and it had metal shavings!! ouch!!??

It is a 4 cyl inboard/outboard with cobra outdrive. Could this be something simple or am I looking at lots of money??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2000, 01:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: OFF TOPIC--BUT related to gears

It could be simple or not. It could be normal to have a little metal shavings in the lower unitl. I had a motor that did the same thing and it ended up that the shifter rod that goes down into the lower unit had come apart and it popped itself in reverse. Yours could be in neutral. I was several miles out in the Gulf of mexico though. I had to drive in reverse until the motor overheated and seized. I then used the trolling motor till the batterys died. Then I paddled for 3 hours. I sold the boat right after I fixed it and bought a canoe.
Aaron

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2000, 02:33 PM
I Do This For The Glory

My brother in law is a marine mechanic, I'll print this out and run it by him, get back to you tomorrow. He has a lot of experience with Cobras as well, so I'm sure he can figure out what's going on.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7"Lift/33"TSL's/IHC D44's 4.10's Lock'd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2000, 02:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks, I'd really appreciate it.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2000, 04:35 PM
cj7jeep

Sounds like a seal went bad and water got in. Did you any water drain out?

post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2000, 01:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Had something similar happen.. ran for like 10-15 min on plane, came down offplane (still bow up) to lookaround real quick, and when i hit it again to get going, there was a POP, and Nothing.... Turns out i busted the stupid little weak link designed keyway in the Otdrive (Volvo Penta). Was a fairly inexpensive fix.
Good luck
BJ

"If you chose not to decide, you still have made a Choice" RUSH
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2000, 08:13 AM
I Do This For The Glory

I have good news and bad news.

<font color=red>Bad news:</font color=red> It's gonna cost some money and there are problems (based on your post). I talked with my brother in law, Corey, and he said he's seen this happen before, although not exactly as you describe (with the gear shifting). He said it sounds like a broken tooth in the case. Did you have it winterized? He said it's fairly common that people drain the oil from the case in the fall. However, they don't have it tuned up in the spring, and consequently the oil isn't replaced. I told him you drained the lower unit and found metal shavings. He said when the lower unit is dry, it will create a suction and drain the oil from the bellows, sucking it into the lower unit. (hey, I'm just going from my notes here) He said a new lower unit will cost anywhere from $2,500 to $4,000 as they aren't made anymore. He said the worst case he'd seen was a lower unit that was so chewed you couldn't tell where the gears had been. I said I couldn't picture it, then he told me to imagine a pinion gear with absolutely no teeth on it at all, worn clean and completely rounded off from the ring gear. That I can picture, ouch.

<font color=red>Good news:</font color=red> He's a wheeling fanatic, although he prefers Scout II's (racked mine a few times I'll tell ya, engine fires, whole nine yards), been working on him about jeeps, but it takes time to convert some people. He also understands the <font color=blue>Just-Empty-Every-Pocket</font color=blue> idiom and says OMC stands for <font color=blue>Open-My-Checkbook</font color=blue>. He said the gears from a V6 outboard lower unit will fit into the stern drive case and are the same. He has done a few of them, it takes him 4 hours ($25/hour = $100, pretty cheap), and only costs about $600 total, including the gears. He said if you're halfway mechanically inclined (which I tend to believe you are), he can expain how to do it over the phone or netcam. It does take some setting up (similar to a ring & pinion, although not exactly) with shims and there is a tool that's required (OMC type), but it's easy enough to do. He's done them in the driveway on a sunny Saturday, but then again he's the OMC certified mechanic. He said he sucks at typing so he'd prefer to talk on the phone or over the web, his E-mail is [email protected] and he'd be more than happy to help you out. His phone number is (207) 273-6083, let him know you're the guy Mark (JEEPN) was mentioning with the Cobra outdrive problem.

He said he's worked at a few boat dealerships and this was the very thing they used to look for to rape the customer for every penny. They'll do the swap then charge you for another lower unit. Not him, he's left shops due to the unethical practices at some of them, he's too honest (nice guy, always gets the short end of the stick). So unless you ABSOLUTELY trust a dealership or mechanic, you're going to get taken.

He also said this is based on what you mentioned in your post, so it's possible it could be something else. Give him a call and you guys can chat about it. If it's something else he can help diagnose it over the phone. Good luck!

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7"Lift/33"TSL's/IHC D44's 4.10's Lock'd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode