D-ring shackle anchors - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2000, 12:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

D-ring shackle anchors

I need to install either tow hooks or d-rings on my Jeep. Don't like the idea of the hooks, so D-rings it is. How is the best way to attach them? My current idea is to bolt 1/2"x12"x2" steel bars on the inside of the frame rails and cut rectangular holes in the bumper to slide over them (so they pull only on the frame). I've seen rigs where the shackle anchors are just bolted to the bumper. Seems like a great way to ruin your bumper. How have ya'll done yours?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2000, 01:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: D-ring shackle anchors

I built a bumper from 3"x3" 1/4" thick sq. tube and used 1"x2" solid bar for the shackle mounts. I drilled a 3/4" hole in each bar. I cut a square hole in the front of the bumper and one in the back then welded the solid bars to the bumper inside the bumper and out. Then I made endcaps for the bumper. I drilled 8 holes in the back of the bumper and welded 8 large nuts over the holes and put bolts through the frame plate into the nuts. I have pulled out many very very stuck vehicles with this setup and never had a problem. Here are a couple of links to some pics of the bumper. The pics are of the bumper before I used nuts to mount it and before I cut the ends at angles for better clearance. I would not suggest square ends. They really did hit everything offroad. I would also suggest 2"x3" or 2"x4" instead of 3"x3". The 3" sticks out a little too far and hits when you drop off of ledges.
http://www.geocities.com/~freakaccident/bump1.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/~freakaccident/bump2.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/~freakaccident/bump3.jpg

Good luck,
Aaron

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2000, 02:14 PM
Can't Get Enough

Similiar to freakaccident, I used some 3x3"x3/8" angle, two pieces per side, welded on with a 1/2" gap between them. They have a 7/8" hole through them that I put the schackle on. A tow bar mounts between them using the shackle bolts. The bumper has been tied into the frame through some side and top supports.

Good luck.

Enjoying Montana's Big Sky (& rocks & rivers & mountians etc, You get the picture.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2000, 02:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You could actually use a 3"x3" 1/4" thick piece of angle iron and bolt it to the fram plate with two holes drill through the top of it and just stick the pins for the clevis' through that without having to brace it any further. I bet it would be plenty strong enough, great departure angle, super easy to build, and look good too. Good idea. I wish I had thought of that.
Aaron

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode