That's it! I wanna TJ! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2000, 02:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

That\'s it! I wanna TJ!

A friend of mine just bought a used '97 4 banger TJ for $7,000 because it had 2 minor dents and a coupla scratches! Anyway, he slapped some 31" ATs on it and that thing will go just about anywhere. It truly amazes me. I need to sell my rockcrawler (highly modified CJ-7) and am thinking about going ahead and selling my '88 Toyota and going to find me TJ (4.0 of course).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2000, 02:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: That\'s it! I wanna TJ!

where did he find a TJ for 7000? I have seen them for maybe 9000, but not 7
Dan

post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2000, 06:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah, tell me about it! The lucky SOB bought it off some guy at an electronics store that couldn't afford the payments and was selling it for what he owed on it. The guy couldn't have had much gray matter between his ears, if ya know what I mean!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2000, 11:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If a TJ with 31" tires has you wanting to sell your "highly modifed CJ7" then something is wrong with the way your Jeep is built.

I have a loaded 2000 TJ that is pretty modified and an 85 CJ7. I would choose my CJ anyday.

LarryM
'85 CJ7, 350TBI, T19
'00 TJ, 4.0, NV3550, D44
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2000, 10:51 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a highly modified TJ and I have to say that it is at least as good as my highly modified CJ-7 in all areas and better than it in a few. Overall I would have to give the nod to my TJ. The TJ is a remarkably capable vehicle right out of the box. I watched a guy in a very stock TJ tackle virtually everthing at Moab last week without much trouble at all. He kinda ticked off a few guys 'cause this was his first Jeep and he was a fairly inexperienced driver. They talked him in to coming and he really surprised them with how well he did.

If you go for a TJ try to find a sport with the 44 rear under it. Don't waste your money on the bells and whistles that come with the Sahara. If you want to make a bad ass rock crawler out of it , plan to spend about $4000 on suspension and tires. $1500 on gears and lockers. Drop those figures by 1500 and 400 if you do it your self.
Good luck!

Axlesupagain[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
http://home1.gte.net/lrgreen2/index.htm
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2000, 06:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Oh, sorry, I didn't make myself clear. My CJ has a 330hp 350, Scout D44s (Detroit rear, Lockright front), SOA with 2" lift springs, 35" BFG MTs, and ramps a 1230 on a 20 degree ramp. I love it, but I need to sell it anyway since I'm going to college. I just want another Jeep and I just don't like YJs. The TJ has everything I need, good power, nice ride, and capable offroad.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2000, 06:23 PM

The TJ is a great ride no doubt, but it still needs all of the axle, steering, transfer case, tranny, and locker/gearing upgrades that eveyone else needs when when building for ultimate performance. The only difference is the cost associated with the upgrades due to the extra work required to addapt new axles to the coil suspension. If you have all of your other components in place, and now you are just worried about the excelent suspension offered in a TJ package, your build up is lot closer to completion than starting from scratch with a new TJ. If you are going to spend that much money on a TJ, then about $2K for a good suspension(stock TJs dont ramp 1000 on a 20 deg ramp) and still be left with the slip yoke on the NP231 and addequate axles at best. All you have to do is flop down the $4000 or so on the Warn Black Diamond XCL(X-trem Coil Link) suspension, you will have a suspension superior to the best aftermarket upgrades available to the TJ and still retain all of the benfits of your modified YJ or CJ, dont kid yourself modifying is modifying and those TJ's are not cheap to build up. I would love to take one off the showroom floor, damn the warranty and start cutting it up for the trail,(and Ive honestly thought about doing it, as soon as I quit traveling so much for work), but the 1st thing that would have to go would be the plastic TJ dash, hell I cant even stand all the plastic on my YJ dash, the good old look of a CJ dash would have to be one of the 1st swaps.
The Warn XCL is the great equalizer for leaf sprung Jeeps for less than about a 5th the cost, when all things are considered.

Jeff
89 Wrangler
If at first you dont succeed, your replacement will try and try again.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2000, 07:14 PM
Keyboard Implanted

why sell the other jeep? just pull the plates and put a trailer under it.... i too have been bitten y the tj bug, but not so bad I'll sell my cj thingy..

~~Elusive~~
it's sort of still a cj thingy....see it at www.jeepgod.net
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2000, 08:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

east_beast,
Stick with that CJ dude, it sounds like a real nice ride...like what I'm shooting for if I find the time and money!
When are you looking to sell?

post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2000, 08:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ok, here's the deal: I can't keep my CJ for a daily driver due to gas mileage and it just isn't feasible to keep two vehicles when I can only take one to college. The college I'm going to is about six hours from home, so it isn't like I can drive back every weekend to wheel. Second, my Toy has 158,000 miles on it, and though it runs perfect and it is a Toyota, it's getting enough miles where major mechanical work is in the near future (definitely in the next 4 years) and I won't have the $$$ for that while in college. I'm not looking for another ultimate off-road vehicle like my CJ out of a TJ. I just want one to have another Jeep and it satisfies my reliability, comfort, and off-road needs. As $$$ come along, I will modify it. Adding a rear locker first, then a 4" lift and 33s. That would probably be it until and get out of college, then...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode