Help convert a greenie... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2000, 01:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Help convert a greenie...

<font color=blue>I sent an email to my family and friends urging them to vote NO on the snowmobile ban. Of the 4 sisters I have, 3 of them responded with (and I paraphrase) THEY ARE BAD BAD BAD vehicles, and should be banned! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Now, I am the older sibling of these three budding greenies, and am responsible to show them the error of their ways. I wrote back to all 3 with the usual rhetoric...[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] (By the way, my youngest sister is a stark raving Republican at the age of 13! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Thanks to my step-dads days as Quality inspector for Hughes Helicopters...) [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I need ammo to retort to them with. I dropped the slippery slope argument, but need NUMBERS. What I'm specifically looking for are the total number of riders thoughout the country, and what percentage of the land OHV'ers can actually access.... Etc, etc, etc...

Thanks! Help convert a greenie.... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

http://www.obsessiveoffroad.com
If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2000, 02:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Help convert a greenie...

Let me first say that snowmobiles are.."bad,bad,bad vehicles" as your sister said.(although fun as hell) They are setting a bad example for the rest of the cleaner burning/quieter off-highway vehicles. Those two stroke engines are huge polluters. That being said..NO VEHICLES SHOULD BE BANNED OUR LAND. PERIOD. Snowmobiles noisy and polluting engines have given the greenies a wedge to open the door to banning ALL off highway vehicles. Not only should we be writing the political powers that be, in regards to not banning off highway vehicles. We should also be writing the manufacture of snowmobiles and dirtbikes requesting cleaner running and quieter products. This is just giving the greenies the amo to shut us out. Sorry snowmobilers flame away if you must..hehe.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2000, 03:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Go over to the Snowmobile boards and ask them. They might know some sights with that stuff.

Ed

I live, I breath, I Jeep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2000, 04:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I completely understand your frustration with your sisters. My mom and sister are pretty darn green, and being the Land Use Editor of the worlds largest OHV magazine and reading some of what I do they now think I'm a raving lunatic. Oh well, they live in Tucson anyway, about 10 hrs. away, so I don't see them very often. Some people are just stupid and can't be converted no matter what you do.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2000, 04:51 PM

If possible, perhaps the best way to disprove someone like that is to take them for a nice safe, scenic ride on a snowmobile (or other OHV), and show them that the media only shows them the very minority unsafe idiotic few that actually mess things up. If that isn't possible, show them other things that the Government or Media have lied about (that you can prove) and try to convince them that if the media consistently lies about other things that they are also lying about this. Good luck, and remember, it's hard to un-brainwash someone, be patient, and eventually you might turn them from the "Dark Side"... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] You might try posting that question to the Land Use Network, there are a lot of knowledgeable people on there, and likely at least one or two of them would know...

Tim
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] '79 Suburban 4x4 454, 35x12.5s
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] '85 S15 4x4 2.8l, 235/75's
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2000, 08:42 AM
I Do This For The Glory

How True Tim! Take them out and show them both sides, to the "greenies" you speak of, numbers don't matter, they'll just wave them away and dismiss them easily. SHOW them what's actually going on, if possible, relate it to something close to them that they'll lose (now or eventually) due to this process.

BTW, working in one of the "Parks" listed (Acadia, Maine), snowmobiling is illegal here now anyway. There are only hiking trails and you aren't allowed to cut the trees, so snowmobiles don't fit. Just another method they've already used to ban OHV's. There are also tons of rocks and coastline (very rocky, a crawler's dream) up here begging to be wheeled on, but alas, it's posted against wheeling.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7"Lift/33"TSL's/IHC D44's 4.10's Lock'd
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2000, 10:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

You need Doug (Doug 97 TJ) to get involved and give you more ammo. I have never seen someone that so thoroughly researches issues they are involved in.
I also agree about taking them out. What greenie wouldn't like to spend a nice day outside enjoying nature. Don't point out that they were Jeeping until after they have ad a good time. Just make sure you show them the most scenic trails.

'83 CJ7 258 i6 31x10.5 3in. lift? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode