Hammerite: BAD news - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Way Outta Control

Hammerite: BAD news

The LEVE Hammerite Test is Complete!

The Test: To see if Hammerite could withstand being exposed to gas after the Hammerite coat fully cures.

The Method: The Hammerite has been on the back bumper over a 8 months. That should be fully cured. The test consisted of laying a gas soaked (damp not wet) rag on a section of the back bumper for a period of about 18 hours. Upon removal test to see the how the Hammerite withstood the gas. Two actions would be performed: 1}Scratch and; 2) Pressure.

Some could argue this was overkill... But I like to prepare for the worst.

Results:

1. Scratch: Hammerite was soft and easily dentable with my thumbnail and very little applied pressure.

2. Pressure: I rubbed my thumb across the affected area. The Hammerite "rolled" right off with some applied pressure.

Conclusion:

1. I'm shocked and disapointed.
2. I'll not coat the outside of the tub with Hammerite as intended.
3. I'll still use Hammerite as a rust coverter and cover on the undercarriage.
4. I'll repeat the actions in a few weeks to see what happens when the gas boils off the Hammerite. I hope it firms up agian.
5. I'm going to go without food for a few days so I can eat a few words.
6. This sucks... I hate to be wrong and now I'll loose weight eating crow. I really dislike that fowl tase in my mouth.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 12:14 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Re: Hammerite: BAD news

I have eaten crow a few times, it's not bad with some BBQ sauce. My personal favorite is the North Carolina "Bone Suckin' Sauce", it's awesome.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 12:18 PM

There's no reason for you to eat crow...You were scientificly misproven. The key point here is that you performed a test to get results that most others just speculated at or repeated something someone else told them. In the end you have once again managed to educate us.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 12:26 PM
Pooh-Bah

Have you doine any testing on the Herculiner stuff? I am getting ready to extend my inner rear wheel wells and then do my tub with it, so just curious if you have tested it.

pbm
74 cj5,304,t18,2.46 ts d20,30f,44r,soa,MORE buggy front,35's,Rci's,5pt,full cage,air,etc.
78 J10,360,727,d20,44f,44r,35's,4" lift,etc.
<font color=red>Support Search and Rescue.......Get Lost!</font color=red>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 12:27 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Hey Larry,
I had some doubts about the Hammerite on my recent frame application. I felt the surface remained tacky and plyable for a long time after application which gave me concerns about adhesion. After the 2 week cure time, my CJ dash that has been laying around my shop brushed against the frame easily removing a chunk of Hammerite. I think that Hammerite is a strong enamel that coats well and has an interesting finish, however I am not sure if it is any better than Rustoleum or any of the other rust-inhibitive enamels. Thanks for the test, I won't be pouring gas on my frame anytime soon.

Later,

PS I hate eating my words also.

http://home.off-road.com/~tom85cj7/home.htm
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 12:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

That does it !...I'm not gonna paint inside my carb or gas tank with that crap. ; )
Seriously now...I can't see getting too excited about paint/powdercoat/por15 finishes on these rigs, some will difer, but, these frames are never done, technology changes, our goals move around, not to mention we are beating them on rough ground. Every time I come-up with the perfect set-up, I change it 2 years later...

post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 12:57 PM
Old Hand

Hi Larry,

It seems strange that the Hammerite rubs off so easy and can be dented with your nail... I've got the whole of the inside of the tub painted with the stuff. The floor gets quite a bit of abuse as I have no mats or carpet in the Jeep. It has been on there for about two years and looks the same as when I put it on.

I know there are different kinds of Hammerite. I'll have a look on the tin which one I've got.

By the way, it is probably because you brushed it on back to front or used a left handed brush in your right hand!! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Hooch

'83 CJ-7 258/TR/TF999/D300 in Land Rover Country

post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 12:59 PM
Keyboard Implanted

On my "no rust" CJ7 I just spray some krylon on the frame when I notice a chip or bare metal, it has worked great for years. Since the frame is accessible on my CJ8 project and it was rusty, Hammerite was a good choice. After a few years it will probably get treated to my krylon regimen.

Later,

http://home.off-road.com/~tom85cj7/home.htm
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 02:18 PM
jeepfiend

That is a pretty intense test. There are not many areas that I can think of that would receive that kind of exposure to gasoline. For undercarriage applications it would perhaps be better to see how the Hammerite holds up to dirt soaked in gear oil, or how it would withstand ATF. I may have to conduct a few test of my own to check the durability. I was planning on using POR15 for the bulk of my frame and axles, but there are quite a few parts that I had considered painting with the Hammerite, and my wife just painted the frame on a motorcycly she is restoring with the smooth black Hammerite. So far the only gripe with the smooth is the dry spots, but I showed her how to get rid of those with a little rubbing compound. The smooth has a little shorter cure time, so I think that it is a little different.

Cage Up, Wheels Down
Jeepfiend
All my Jeeps are in pieces!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 02:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

haha..

<font color=red> 78 CJ7 "Issues" </font color=red>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode