History Question... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

History Question...

I was driving my recently purchased Grand Cherokee around, and I came to thinking about that particular engine. The 5.2L 318. Basically the 318 is the 360 engine. Did Kaiser first build this engine for its Waggies? Who came up with this engine that is found amongst Dodge Dakota R/T's, Dodge Ram Pickups, Grand Wagonneers, and 97/98 Grand Cherokees?
Is It Dodge? somebody tell me! I must know!!!!
Thanks

-ben....
1948 Willys - Disassembled; ready for fixup
1987 Wrangler - 4-inch Procomp, Rancho Shocks, Arb Snorkel, Con-Ferr Rack, Pacesetter Header...more to come...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 11:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: History Question...

This is a MOPAR motor. It started out as a 273c.i. small block V-8. The dis-
placement was upped to 318, then 340, and then 360. It was MOPARs answer the
the GM and Ford small blocks. It is NOT a Kaiser.

Gary
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

So, there was actually a time when Jeep was using Chevy Engines and Dodge Engines? Interesting!

-ben....
1948 Willys - Disassembled; ready for fixup
1987 Wrangler - 4-inch Procomp, Rancho Shocks, Arb Snorkel, Con-Ferr Rack, Pacesetter Header...more to come...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 03:13 PM

The 360 jeep(amc) engine is a completely different engine than the dodge 360, only the displacement are the same. AMC made a 390 that is completely different than a ford 390, again only the size is the same. Wranglers came with both GM151ci 4 cylinders and AMC151 4 cylinders but none of the parts are interchangable. Pontiac,Chevy,Buick,Oldsmobile all made 350ci motors but they are all different and GM owns all of them. Never mistake displacement for engine model. Why chevy even made a 302 for three years but in the last year ford came around and built a better one(and no I'm not biased just because I own 2).

post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 03:16 PM

No, The AMC and Kaiser engines are totally different. The only thing the same is the displacement. The 304,360,390,401, etc all use the same block, same oil passages, and most parts will interchange.... The MOPAR 318 and 360 are different engines altoghether.

In the very early 1900s there was a 350 gasoline engine. Does that mean that todays Chevy 350 is its descendant? Nah, the early 1900s 350 was a big-bore 4-cylinder! Buick even built a 350 (and it was used in some Jeeps too)

Jeep has used the 4.2L I-6 for DECADES. GM just created a technological marvel of a 4.2L I-6 that in no way, shape, or form resembles the Jeep block. Hell, the GM engine doesn't even have a throttle linkage- the throttle is electronic [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Buick made two different engines- the 3.8L and the 3800. "What," you say, "3.8 liters is 3800 cubic centimeters." Sure, they are both 3.8L V-6s made by Buick, but the older 3.8L is junk compared to the newer 3800...

Just thought you might like some examples of different engines that share the same displacements.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 03:19 PM
I Do This For The Glory

And lets not forget the 225 Buick found in many 60's and 70's jeeps.

You'll find swapping is common, International harvester even used the AMC 258 for some years, and then there was the Nissan Diesel swapped as well. It's still prevalent today, the old Chevy Tracker is a Suzuki Sidekick, right down to the "Suzuki" across the engine, until Chevy started making their own setup. Heck, my '71 Commando is still the same as the Kaiser era Jeeps, even though it was AMC in '71, the tooling change didn't happen until '72.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 03:21 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] The venerable 318 was also made in a 303.....or was it 302....displacement for the Plymouths about 1959 or so. That 318 is one of the same beefy engines that characterized the Mopar family from 1951 till the advent of the "B" engine family in 1959 (The Bees would be the 361, 383, 413, and 426). So the "A"s and Bees were actually produced concurrently in certain models. They had to go to the "B" models to save dough. The A bombs were just too GOOD.....too well built!!!! I think if I looked hard enough in my parts drawers I could still find a few Chrysler 392 Hemi ("A" bomb) parts around. Now THAT was a Mopar!!![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 03:29 PM

the original firepower hemis were the only mopars worth talking about(but they don't make really good jeep engines so we'll avoid that topic here)

post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 03:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hmmmmm. I must not have made myself to clear. The 5.2L/318 V8 in the Grand
Cherokee is a MOPAR motor. It started as a 273, then went to three other sizes,
318/340/360. The 360c.i. is a completely different motor from the AMC 360. As
far as I know the only two GM motors Jeep used were the Buick 225 V6 and the
Pontiac 2.5L I-4 "Iron Duke".

Gary
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 03:50 PM

Yes, the Grand Cherokess do use MOPAR 318 and 360s. However the 360s in Grand Wagoneers are of the AMC variety.

GM owns Buick. The 225 Buick engine was used in some CJs and many Jeepsters. The 350 Buick engine was used in some Wagoneers and J-trucks. The 150 4-cyl was used in many CJs as well...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode