Keeping it cool - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Keeping it cool

my cj dose not like this time of year, in the past (before winch) i was able to keep thing cool enough but i think it is time to add a electric pusher fan in my grill or replace my motor fan with a electric. my motor fan just pulls thru the bottom of the radiator and that is tough to do with a winch. would a electric fan keep things cool enough mounted in the top half of the radiator, or should i go with a pusher in the grill and just turn it on when needed?

gdm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 11:09 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Keeping it cool

i am new to this world but from the comments i recieved yesterday about my cooling problems the fan in front seems like the best idea. I don't think it will hurt to have extra cooling power and with the electric only covering half your radiator you could be in trouble.

'70 CJ5 chevy350
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 12:50 PM
mudracer

In my experience, an electric fan alone won't cut it. Since you have a V8, I'd almost guarantee it. At least at low speeds (trails). I'd add the pusher to the front and keep your engine driven fan. Also, make sure your shroud forces air to come through the radiator and there are no big openings where air has an easier path.

I have had the same problem with mine. The big block is happy lugging along the trail at 300RPM, but there is not enough coolant/air flow at that speed to cool it. If I keep the R's up a bit more when she gets warm, it's able to keep cool. I have considered going with an electric water pump and fan, but the pump for a big block is about $175 and there are more pressing items to spend money on at the moment. That setup would be nice since pump speed would be constant, regardless of engine speed, and you would have the option of cooling the engine when it isn't even running.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
'84 K20 driver
'80 CJ-7 BBC, 1 ton
<font color=orange>'79 K10 mud racer</font color=orange> (for sale)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 09:37 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Fan shroud fan shroud fan shroud!!! That is the secret. I never put much faith into them, but then I did my swap and couldn't keep the small block kewl enough on a hot summer day. I installed the "full radiator shroud" and mounted the electric puller fan on the inside. No problem keeping kewl now. I imagine if you have the stock engine, and just installed a factory shroud it'll solve your problems. The shroud creates a "vacuum" and sucks heat from the WHOLE radiator.

Shroud...... it'll amaze you.

DREW
IN2DEEP 78 CJ5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode