Air Adjustable Shocks (OT) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 07:30 AM Thread Starter

Air Adjustable Shocks (OT)

Does anyone still manufacture air adjustable shocks?
Gabriel used to make some, that you could control the stifneess and even the ride somewhat, by adding or subtracting air from valve on the shock body. Its been years since Ive seen them, but i would like to put a set on the rear of my motor home, as a quick interim improvement untill I climb underneath and weld on some air leveler bags.
I figure they would be quick to install and I could use the MH on board compressor for adjustments.
Thanks,

Jeff
89 YJ
Wow, you can get a nice tan on your arms, from welding with no shirt on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 08:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Air Adjustable Shocks (OT)

Air-lift has bolt on bags that work well $190 I think, summit had them at 1 time

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 08:30 AM
Pooh-Bah

I still see them at the local parts stores. Complete kits with the shocks, lines, and fittings.

pbm
74 cj5,304,t18,2.46 ts d20,30f,44r,soa,MORE buggy front,35's,Rci's,5pt,full cage,air,etc.
78 J10,360,727,d20,44f,44r,35's,4" lift,etc.
<font color=red>Support Search and Rescue.......Get Lost!</font color=red>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

Dirtrod,
I know, they have the bolt ups, but its one of those things that I kept putting off, and now I want it done tomorrow. Ive already climbed under and figured how I want to run the bags, I have the part number for them, I even fabbed up some of the brackets, but,....you know, it seems like I get more work done when Im under pressure. I had all the time in the world this week, but I spent most my time, wheelin, drinking beer, and BS'n on the board. Its pretty pittiful really.
Now I need to do something to firm up the rear by tomorrow, so I can go play some more.

Jeff
89 YJ
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 11:08 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Napa has 'em for about $80. Sears Auto Centers carry ones with 6 year, 60K mile warranties for $65. I've got a set in the rear of my truck.

Moneyless, Will weld for jeep accessories.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 09:12 PM

I put a set from NAPA on my El Camino about six months ago. Seem to work OK.

Wayne @ Big Island RockCrawlers
Web Site: http://www.members.tripod.com/surfmac/Index.html
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2001, 03:08 AM Thread Starter

Well I bought a set of gabriels from Carquest, when I got them home they werent an excact match, but I figured what the hell, Ill make them work, they had bar pins and were a bit longer than my stock shocks, they also came with no sleeves, so i needed to remove the antient ones from my old shocks and clean em up. This is not a fun job on a motorhome chasis, as I can barely fit under the damn thing and my ramps are at the furthest reaches of the U haul trailer, where they will remain untill I finally move to another project. So I modified my stock mounts and ran the air hoses, hooked everything up and charged them to 150 psi with on board air, then all of the sudden Psssssssttttt, the passenger side shock blew a seal. I called carquest, and they couldnt get another for a week. So I removed the shocks but left the air hoses and went to return them, they argued that I had modified the shocks, and they were pretty well distressed from the install and un install, and I did not return the air lines. I was pretty pissed about their attitude, and the argument only lasted about 30 seconds, and I walked out with my cash.
Went to NAPA, and bought a better quality shock for a few bucks more, but the hoses didnt interchnage, and I had to move my mounts back to the stock location. So after about 8 hours to install 2 shocks, the motor home has new air adjustable boingers. They seem to work great.
Thanks for the input.
Oh yeah the gabriels were $78
The NAPA version (no name brand, on the box, but the valves, and hose fittings look just like Ranchos) were $91

Jeff
89 YJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode