OT-Liberty is out, yuck - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 06:49 AM
utahjeepr

OT-Liberty is out, yuck

The local dealership has had three Libertys (or is it still "liberties" if it is used as a proper noun?) on the lot for over a week now. They are even worse in person, they look like a cartoon come to life. If this is "what the people want" as D-C says, why are the first ones in the area not moving immediatly. With any luck this thing will flop, but I doubt it. If junk like the Rav-4 and the CRV is selling this POS will fit right in. Wonder what they will call the top of the line version? Liberty Limited? Descriptive of the vehicle to be sure, but it sounds downright un-American.

72 CJ-5: 305 Chevy; SM420; D-300; 30/44 with 5.38's, Warn axles, and Detroits
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 07:13 AM
Old Hand

Re: OT-Liberty is out, yuck

Huh? Calling it Liberty Limited??? That is the same thing isn't it, Liberty and Limited?[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Hooch

'83 CJ-7 258/TR/TF999/D300 in Land Rover Country

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 08:57 AM

the dealership around here are not selling them yet, just taking orders. the Libertys at the dealership are for test drives only. my buddys girlfriend just ordered one. and yes, she ordered the Liberty Limited with leather interior and other do-dads that will cause problems because people are weak and lazy (she is... enough of my rant. to each their own. i have stopped trying to convince people to buy jeep vehicles. actually, i discourage it. i tell them that they have problems, have high maintenace costs, never do anything very well, etc. i just don't want to listen to them complain when they have to change the tranny fluid every 30K miles or flush the cooling system. i advise them to go buy a honda, put a bazillion miles on it, and throw it away. i guess it doesn't help much when they know i and my family own: 1963 willys wagon, 1981 cj-7, 1984 cj-8 1986 cj-7, 1993 cherokee, 2000 grand cherokee, and have owned a 1997 grand cherokee,1988 comanche and 1985 cherokee. then they buy one, fall in love with it (and its personality) and still complain. oh well...matt

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 09:26 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Jeep sent the Jeep 101 invitation to come test-drive the Liberty, Wrangler, and Grand Cherokee on the "Chrysler Proving Grounds." I didn't sign up. I wouldn't want to be seen behind the driver's wheel of one of those Liberties. I'm sure the Grand would have been pretty plush though. I saw the Liberty at the Denver Car Show a couple months ago. I started laughing, venting, and then just walked on to see some other plastic-mobiles. They are quite a bit smaller than the Cherokees. What are they going to do for the people that don't want a puny Liberty and can't afford a Grand? I love my '96 Cherokee as a daily driver, and like it even more because it was the last year before they did the modifications on that.
A friend and I were laughing at a Chrysler commercial that had the Chrysler 300 running on the beaches at Daytona 50 years ago and that's how we should remember Chrysler. Then 20 years from now, what are they going to advertise, the K-cars and Volare's running through the streets of NYC? Too funny.
I'm sure they know a whole lot more about marketing than myself, and I know there's a market for these mini-mini SUV's. It's definitely not for me though.

-Jay
Denver, CO
1978 CJ-5 258 Weber, 'glass body
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 11:47 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

There was an autoshow here in San Diego a few months back and there was a
Liberty on one of those revolving stands. There were some marketing flunkies
standing around asking people what they thought of it. I don't think they
liked my comments. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

Gary
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 12:28 PM
Keyboard Implanted

The Liberty (for the sake of a Liberty) seems to fit in with todays trends. I don't like it 'cause it means the end to the XJ. I've got a '91 Cherokee and was hoping to buy a new one in a couple years...and the dealer won't hold one for me for that long! I will never like this vehicle.

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo, It's got a coat of primer on and will be painted this weekend!!!!!!!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 04:15 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

My biggest beef is with Jeep or DC trying to make the Liberty LOOK like a Jeep. They're trying too hard. They made it a point to slap round headlights on and a 7 slotted grill. Well, it looks like SH!T! I think they should of redesigned the XJ. Or atleast give the liberty some XJ styling, just updated. I mean, it's not like an XJ isn't a Jeep. It's been around forever!

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]Eat, Sleep, JEEP[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
"James and the Giant Jeep"
1993 Wrangler 4.0/5spd, Herculined Interior, D44 w/Detroits and 4.56 soon to go in SOA
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 07:37 PM
Leigh_Smith

There were 2 liberty's at our Jeep Jamboree in the Annapolis Valley of Nova Scotia last weekend. I didn't try one ( the terra low tj satisfied me!!) Those that did try the Liberty said it was very roomy and smooth. It did go on several trails and it did well I was told, but I'm sure it had a very experienced driver. It has some kind of rocker panel protector which was promptly torn off so that might need some re-designing.
I didn't care for it myself, it looks like a tracker or something.

81 CJ7 304/904/D300 scout 44's locked, full cage, 33"wildcats, warn HS9500i, bush bar from hell and diamondplate sides to cover gaping rust holes!! Coming soon OBA!!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 08:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I knew that this kind of stuff would happen when Chrysler bought Jeep, that it would just be a matter of time untill they started to mess things up.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2001, 01:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Before D-C screws up? What about Willy's, Kaiser or AMC? They sure held up well didn't they. AND they made the Holiest of Holy Jeeps- the flatties & CJ's. Kee-rist! I've got a '00 XJ grocery getter/crumb-snatcher conveyance & a '95 YJ to get back & forth to work in & go play with. Are they cast iron, bullet proof, revered Jeeps of yore? No. Can they still go off-road & have fun? Yes.

Look, the Liberty ain't my cup of tea, either, but how many of you are standing on tradition & bashing it because that's the 'cool thing to do'? If the thing can handle the Rubicon, then it's better than 99% of the other cute-utes out there. Why not just be happy that the Jeep name lives on & that they're still cranking out capable off-road vehicles? Flatties & CJ's weren't champion rock-crawlers in stock form & neither was any other 'offroad vehicle'. You expect D-C to build the ultimate rock-crawler, knowing that 90% of their customers wouldn't buy it/couldn't handle it? Whatever.

'95YJ, 6cyl, 5spd, 4" lift, 31's (for now), 4.56's & a rear locker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode