77 CJ7 Price, Updated - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 11:39 PM
jeepfiend

77 CJ7 Price, Updated

I've got a friend looking at a 77' CJ7 and it sounds like the price is a little high. The Jeep has had a lot of work done to it, but it sounds like the seller is trying to pay for everything he did. It has 100,000 miles with the origingal engine (258 I-6, not rebuilt). The tranny has been swapped in favor of a BW T-10, I think it still has the D20 xfer case. There is a Detroit in the AMC20 and an ARB up front in the 30. It has a 4" lift with 33x12.50 Good Year MTR's and aluminum wheels. No full cage, just the factory bar with leather seats. It has the bikini top and a soft top. The Jeep has lived in Phoenix, so it has no rust, and it has a fresh paint job. He said it has a Warn winch. But with all the other mods, the guy never bothered to put on discs or power brakes, and there is no power steering either. The guy is asking $9500, and that seems really high to me. My friend made an offer of $8000, and I think that is too high. With the miles and no power brakes or steering (both expensive mods) I would say that it couldn't be worth more than about $6000-7000, tops. What do you guys think this Jeep is worth. It sounds nice, but I doubt it is $9500 nice. Oh I almost forgot, it also has a Tuffy console. I added up the price of the mods, and it seems like the guy has just tacked on the cost of the modifications to the high blue book value. Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Cage Up, Wheels Down
Jeepfiend
All my Jeeps are in pieces!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 11:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 77 CJ7 Price

Thats really outrageous.. nothing big was even done to the jeep.. lil lift, some tires, and a console.. tell your friend to move on.. I would give him 6k maybe if in perfect order..

<font color=red> 78 CJ7 "Issues" </font color=red>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 08:28 AM
Veteran

Yikes!
$9500 for a CJ7 with no power brakes (and I bet no power steering either). No way $5K

-Mel

http://www.in2jeeps.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 08:35 AM
jeepfiend

That is about the price range that I was thinking it should be in. I am afraid that my friend may have already bought the thing. He offered the guy $8000, and if the guy is smart, he will take that fast. My friend will bring the Jeep to Utah from Arizona, and it just might sell for at least what he paid. He runs a little dealership that usually sells European cars. He sells a lot of Porches, Mercedes, BMW's and that type of thing. I think the guy is trading the Jeep for a car of that type. He knows about those cars, but doesn't know a lot about Jeeps. The lack of power steering and brakes is a huge detractor. I doubt it got wheeled too much with 33's and no power steering. And stopping is probably not a lot of fun either[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img].

Cage Up, Wheels Down
Jeepfiend
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 09:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I agree. Too much!! I just paid 4k for a 77 with Auto and Quadratrac. It has a little rust but not much. It also has a rebuilt 304. Hopefully your friend can talk him down or move on.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 09:50 AM

That way high ... there’s a lot of $ still needed to make it off road ready. If I not mistaken (please correct me if I'm wrong then I'll pass on the upgrade to my axles) but the M20 doesn’t hold up to the larger tires well and I hear the same about the D30 up front. And they’re spendy to replace. (I've already busted a rear axle) The 1 piece axle ($300 or so) in the M20 will help but it sounds like the M20 still can have issues. I haven't hear if replacing the D30 shafts will solve all the problems there (any know?) but that upgrade is a bit more spendy.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 10:50 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I wouldn't pay more than 5K for that rig. To me the engine is the big factor. If it had a 304 and T-18, then 8K would be reasonable.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 11:15 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

$4500 tops if it's perfect or tell your buddy to keep looking,and tell your friend to check for rust any way just because it's in Phoenix now doesn't mean that it has always been there.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2001, 08:45 AM
jeepfiend

Well I laid eyes on the prize Jeep. It is REALLY clean! I still don't think it is worth anywhere close to $8000, but it is CLEAN! There really is no rust that has gotten out of hand. There is a little on the inside where the fender wells meet the tub, but it is just surface rust and could easily be fixed with an application of POR15 at the seams. My friend had a few components wrong. The winch is a Ramsey 9500, and the rear is an M20, but is was built by Sommers Bros. The front is unfortunately the D30, but it does have an ARB. The tranny is the T-18, not a T-10, and the t-case looks to be a D20 (hard to get a good look at it without crawling underneath, and I had come straight from work, and the wife would kill me if I got grease on my work clothes). The seats are not leather, they are just run of the mill Bestop seats. The lack of power steering and power brakes is still a huge detractor to me. The old 258 ran pretty good, but I would have to imagine with 100,000 miles on it, it could go at any time. It may sound crazy, but I would pay $6000 for it like it is. I could do the steering and the brakes for less than a thousand, and I could rebuild the engine for around $1500. But you never know, the engine might last for another 100,000 with a little love. I have seen wranglers only 5 years old that are in a lot worse shape. Because of the money my friend made on the Lexus he sold to this guy, he told me I could get the Jeep for $6000. I have to admit, I am really tempted. I wish I had a digital camera, and I would have posted a pic.

Cage Up, Wheels Down
Jeepfiend
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2001, 10:04 AM
I Do This For The Glory

$6K sounds good for it in the condition you mentioned. Up here there is rusted out patched scrap heap jeeps going for $3K, with no winch.

If you have it and it won't kill you to let it go, sounds like a nice deal to me.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode