lighting up the trail - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 10:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

lighting up the trail

I am planning on getting some form of alternate lighting for wheeling trips. I was wondering if it is a big deal what bran of lights I get. I kind of like the KC daylighters but they arent exactly cheap. I know that good lights cost $$ but I was wondering if it makes a huge difference on what you get. Does anyone have any suggestions. Is it a bad idea to buy cheap lights or what. Thanks for the help.

Jeep CJ6, 225 v6 buick, turbo 400, dana 18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 11:35 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Re: lighting up the trail

Don't go too cheap. The best light for the money is the Hella 500 IMHO, they're great, light, thin, and cost about $60 a pair. I love mine.

I have had many of the cheap ones in the past and none of them compare to the Hella's.

Off-road, however, doesn't need a lot of light, some well placed tractor lights would do better than a pair of anything on the front.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 11:41 PM
BMB
Veteran

Well, I think if you look around a bit you can have some pretty good lights for not too much money. Look at the stores that are geared to 4 wheel drives, as most of the local parts stores I have seen carry mostly the "blue beam" ground slammer lights and not much in the way of off road lighting. I think 4 Wheel Parts Warehouse had some pretty good pricing on some KC lights. From my own personal experience I have a set of Dick Cepek 150 watt lights that have lasted over ten years on a couple of different vehicles. I also have some KCs on another vehicle that have about four years on them and they are doing well, but I did have a bulb burn out, which is covered under thier warranty, but I haven't sent it in yet. Just my observations, hope it helps.

BMB

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 01:36 AM

Off road depending on what you do a pair of 55 watt driving and a set of 55 watt fogs should be fine but then some samart lighting is when people put fogs into fenders and the undercarriage so they can see what they are doing but this all depends on the wheeling you are doing, if it's forest roads then the wheel well lights will just get covered in mud and won't do much anyways but if you are into rocks that's more improtant and I would say 4.99 tractor lights would be fine for your wheel wells since they are bound to get broken on occasion. Those light bars w/ 5 165 watt daylighters are pretty much useless and illegal (most places 55 watt is the max for on road) and more for looks, a good set of 55's is probably the best bet since you can use them all the time.
BarrelRoll

97 TJ 30" ko's stock but not for long
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 09:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Jeep CJ6, 225 v6 buick, turbo 400, dana 18
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 10:12 PM
Official Historian

I have one utility light mounted on the shackle reversal crossmember under the front frame crossmember to light the ground in front of the front tires and another utility light mounted to the back of the skidplate to light the ground in front of the rear tires. I also have some 100 watt lights on the front bumper but they aren't used off-road much since the regular headlights do just fine.

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner/Pro-jection 2D/MSD/4.10s/lockrights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode