Dollys to move jeep around garage? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Dollys to move jeep around garage?

HI!! I was just curious if there is any way to make dollies to put under the tires of my jeep to move it to the middle of my garage when I am working on it, and then back against the wall when I am finished, so I can park my daily driver in the garage also? I know they sell them at places like northern tool supply, but the prices are pretty steep, and that is money to spend on repairs!! thanks again...Ben

86 CJ7 258, weber carb, rusty but trusty!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 10:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Dollys to move jeep around garage?

Just to throw in an idea---- pallet jacks

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 10:16 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Not going to say to you to go ahead and do this BUT what I do when I have to is I have a pad on my floor jack and lift the whole axle( by the piggy) and drag the rear end over, then the front end . You just lift the tires off an inch or so . It`s always worked good for me . Just my .02 worth .

Jeff

<font color=black>CJ.... Need I Say More ?? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] </font color=black>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 10:23 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Those dolly's aren't that expensive once you have used them. My friend who builds Drag cars bought a set to put under his race car when it is in the shop so he can push it against a wall for more room to work on customers cars. He bought four more sets 'cause they saved so much time jockeying cars around in the shop! They really are slick and I'm getting a set when my Jeep is done.

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo, It's got a coat of primer on and will be painted this weekend!!!!!!!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 11:40 PM
I Do This For The Glory

I can get the solid steel wheels with bearings up here for $4 each. I bought some to make my own creeper, and wound up using them on other projects. I'll be heading back to get a lot more of them, they're handy. They mount using 4 bolts, so they're heavy duty, and they swivel as well. I think they're 3.5"-4" in diameter, so they're small but large enough for a garage. A little steel and you can make your own moving dollies. Just a thought, let me know if you'd like some.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 06:45 AM
Matt M38A1

You can buy those dolly sets complete for less than a hundred bucks (I think). I'm sure an innovative jeeper with a welder, some scrap steel, and JEEPN's 4 dollar wheels could do it for less than fifty a set.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 09:59 AM

Sign me up for a set of those, Jeepn. I had a real nice heavy duty set that I got from the guy I bought my '95 YJ parts from for an extra $100. Was *really* nice being able to shove the Jeep out of the way when it wasn't being worked on, and when my garage was actually fairly clean & empty I could even spin that puppy around inside...easy to move in & out of the garage to. Let the shop that did my custom work borrow them when the owner got backed up with an SOA job sitting on his only lift and they got padlocked inside when he didn't pay his rent and went out of business. Someone broke in through the bay next door and stole all of the good stuff (welder/generator, tools, etc) including my dollies...my poor back is still mourning the loss [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 10:59 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hello,

Last year I purchased four "carskates" from a company in Minnesota. I stored my CJ-7 on them last winter. Worked great! They cradle underneath each of the four tires. They are extremely durable and allow you to "roll" the vehicle in any direction, this make for great ease in storage and car configurations.

If you are interested I can dig up the receipt for them and tell you the exact name of the company and their number. Let me know.

If I remember correctly, they were just under $200.00. A bit pricey, but worth every penny because they allowed me to store four vehicles in a garage designed for three. Kept the CJ-7 nice and dry and out of freezing temperatures all winter [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Rawbin [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

1984 CJ-7 304 V8

torx: mistake, or did they do it to us on purpose?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode