BFG AT ?'s on traction - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2000, 02:15 AM
Wrangler88

BFG AT ?\'s on traction

when wheeling 2 days ago in a lot of muddy muck stuff i noticed my BFG AT's clogged up really fast and the traction went down to none. i was running them at about 32 psi, would i gain traction in that type of terrain if i aired up the tires (they have a max of 50psi) or should i air them down, remember its muck and not really hard dirt or anything..
thanks!

(\/)ikey
1988 Wrangler Laredo 4.2L w/5spd Manual
1995 Wrangler 2.5L w/ 5spd Manual-dixie horn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2000, 07:45 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: BFG AT ?\'s on traction

My experience with muck and AT's tells me it won't matter much what you do. In good mud they just cake up.

Can you fix it?
I got a welder and a grinder. Heck yeah I can fix it.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2000, 08:57 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm running 33x12.50 BFG ATs on my CJ7. They suck in mud, clog up instantly. But, when aired down to 10 lbs. they provide very good traction on the sandstone slickrock we have in abundance out here. Last time I went crawling with my 4by club people were impressed with how little tire slippage I was getting, actually less than the MT and Swamper guys. But, not aired down, they are terrible on the rock, too.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2000, 10:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

<font color=blue>Why are you beating yourself up, driving around at 32psi? Is this some type of test I'm not aware of? The Jeep weighs way too little for that much PSI... try running at 20 or 25, daily.. your ride will improve (gas mileage will decrease a little)... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Ok... I have to agree, the AT's provide better overall traction (more rubber to the ground)... However, in the mud, they tend to fill up... I found that if you rev the engine and spin the tires, it will all fall out.

The muds (what I have now)... let that mud go in clumps that hurt when they hit you! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

http://www.obsessiveoffroad.com
If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2000, 01:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I run a set of 31x10.5 on my 6000#p/u (farm vehicle...not hard-core off-roader) and from time to time, a venture through a muddy pass is neccesary. Wheelspeed is the key. If you keep them spinning (at a reasonable speed, not at top fuel speed), they self-clean reasonably nice. If they start packing and the jeep starts bogging down, a little blip on the skinny pedal will usually help clean them out. As far as the tire pressure goes, I'd have to agree with the other guys, run them at a lower pressure. Until you get under probably 20 psi, you won't lose substantial ground clearance. My p/u experience isn't everything, but I run them at 33psi normally...when I am going to be carrying a load, I air them up to the max psi...and in my experience, they do better everywhere, on and off road at the lower psi, in snow, dirt, mud, rocks, and just about everything else imagineable. From what I understand, airing up the tires for mud works best with tall, skinny tires that will dig down to the bottom...and even then, 50 psi would be way overkill. The only other think I could reccomend is to saw at the wheel a little bit, and let them hunt for traction...for whatever reason, this works well with the AT's on my p/u, but doesn't work well with the firestones on my dad's p/u...

Evolution of tools: stone, hammer, wrench, socket, impact, really big hammer, blue wrench.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2000, 11:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

AT's are not good mud tires. Better than regular street tires but no where near as good as MT's. On rocks I think the AT's are better. Run mine about 6 to7 psi on the trail and get plenty of traction. Don't do mud unless I have to, but airing way down for mud helps too except that you are liable to get mud and little rocks squished in the bead and develope a slow leak. At 6 psi it's almost certain.

Doug '97 TJ
Creator of the CBrack
CBrack.com
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2000, 10:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

<font color=blue> There is a HUGE article about tires in this months 4wheel and off-road (not Petersons, the other one). After reading it last night, I'm convinced that the AT's are the way to go! You just need to decide if you want a great all around tire (AT's) or will mud more...

http://www.obsessiveoffroad.com
If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything...
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2000, 09:32 PM

If the mud in Ohio is anything like the mud here in Wisconsin, you NEED a mud tire. I'm running 32" ATs with a spool. This weekend, no one could keep up to me on the rocks, on the gravel pit hills and on the steep (dry) trails, but once I go in the mud (really sticky stuff, like wet cement) I had trouble. I always air down, sometimes it helps the tire "flex" and clean a bit, but any AT is going to load up with mud. Either get really friendly with your strap or get some type of mud tire. Air pressure and tire speed won't help make up for the lack of those big voids between the cleats.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2000, 08:34 AM
I Do This For The Glory

I have run several sizes of AT's, from 215/15's to 265/16's, and a few sizes between. I have found they suck in the mud, but they suck a lot less at 10-12 psi. If you air them down too low you'll be picking twigs and stones from between the rim and tire (hard to convince the dealership you don't wheel when there are twigs sticking out of your rims). I like the AT's, especially in the snow, but when we hit the ice/mud mix, a low pressure will usually get us though, along with a little more throttle. The lower air pressure causes the tire to contort at different stages, so the mud never gets a chance to "adhere" in the tread, so it's more easily thrown. A tire pressure of 50 psi will get you nothing except a trip to the dentist for some new fillings. As for around town, I find it depends on the vehicle. Our '95 Trooper likes 32 psi, the TJ about 30 psi, and the Commando 30 psi, but off road the Trooper goes to 15, the TJ to 12, and the Commando to 14. You'll find the right pressure after you wheel a few times and get the "feel" of the tires and vehicle. I like to keep the on-road pressure up a little to maximize MPG and keep an even tread wear. Just my preference though.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7"Lift/33"TSL's/IHC D44's 4.10's Lock'd
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2000, 10:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I HAVE FOUND THAT IF YOU AIR THEM DOWN TO ABOUT 19 PSI THEY WORK REAL WELL IN RED CLAY. SO I WOULD SAY AIR THEM DOWN

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode