shackle lift - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 06:20 PM
Joker2002

shackle lift

Ok, first off let me ask this simple question: when you buy new shackles to give you lift, these new shackles will be shorter than stock, correct? I seem to remember hearing two conflicting pieces of information about that, so I just want to get that straighten up in my mind right off the bat. Anyway, regardless of whether or not that is right, I'm about to put 31s on my Renegade and even though they should fit fine, I still want a little leeway to make sure I clear the fender wells. tdog90yj informed me earlier that shackle lifts can cause some front end alignment problems, but when you think about it, anything besides a full-blown, all-out suspension system is going to give you some kind of trouble. And I'm sure even THAT won't be totally perfect! I don't want to use a body lift because of the ugly gaps it can create and problems it can cause (and it's more expensive than a shackle lift). So, let's get reasonable and understand that I only need one tiny inch of lift, so I'm not going for anything big, and I personally think that a shackle lift is the cheapest, easiest way to go without causing many problems. Well, dang, I just noticed that I basically made up my mind as I was writing this post! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] But I still would like to hear all of your opinions, so please write away! Thanks!

Joker2002
'93 Wrangler Renegade / 4.0L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 07:02 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: shackle lift

Lift shackles will be longer. Just think about it. I wouldnt go anymore then 1" lift shackles (which are two inches longer then stock one). Anything more then that and you will have your hands full driving the jeep. The shackles will through your caster off. It can be corrected with shims but drive it first and see what you think. Personally i would go with a 2 1/2 spring lift.

Can someone please bring me a hammer my 33's just ate my fender again. Damn i need more lift.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 07:05 PM

Shackles will throw off your caster on the front end and can cause a misalignment of the angles between your transfercase output and pinion. The caster change with only one inch of shackle lift(the shackles would have to be 2" longer than stock) is negligable, but you might get some vibrations in your rear driveshaft. Also without much larger tires the shackles will decrease you aproach and departure angles. I didn't like body lifts either but I installed a 1" kit on my jeep and it only took about 1 hour and it is almost invisible. The extra room in the fenders is great and it didn't effect my suspension at all. A 1" body lift is only about $80, while a complete set of quality(no jc whitny cheapos) greasable shackles could cost up to $150. The choice is yours but If it were me I would save up some more money and invest in a 2.5" suspension system.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 07:07 PM

See..all us jersey boys think alike.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 07:15 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I thought the same thing when i read it. Now I cant wait to here what dirtdog has to say about that comment. Where are you from anyway.

Can someone please bring me a hammer my 33's just ate my fender again. Damn i need more lift.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 07:17 PM

North jersey, just outside nyc

post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 08:14 PM

OK Pontiac.....you pulled me into this,..........
I run a 1" (2" longer) shackle lift. It does make it steer like crap though. Stay away from it if at all possible. I think a 1/2" (1"longer) would be better. A body lift is better than shackles.

http://home1.gte.net/rythem/davescj7.htm
"Get your finger outta there"
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 08:29 PM
BMB
Veteran

I run both. I made my own shackles and put on a 1" body lift. Most of the store bought shackles I have seen will probably end up costing you close to as much as 1" body lift. If all you want to do is clear the 31s I would go with the body lift. The lift won't affect your ride and/or suspension/driveline geometry. If your worried about the gap its not really that noticable and I actually think it helps a little because you can now get the water hose and nozzle in between the body and frame to clean better. The only place a gap is really noticable is at the back and in my case I took care of that by making my own bumper that hides most of the gap.
BMB

post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 01:48 PM
Joker2002

What exactly do you mean when you say it steers like crap with the shackle lift? Is it harder to turn, does the turning radius suck now, or what?

Oh and by the way, sorry again for being so ignorant, but what is the "caster" you keep talking about?

Joker2002
'93 Wrangler Renegade / 4.0L
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 02:09 PM

Caster is an alignment angle. Here's the simplified version...Toe is the distance between the the fronts of your tires compared to the distance between the backs of your tires(just think of pigeon toed), camber is the angle your tires sit in somparison to the angle of the surface they are sitting on( /--\ or \--/ ) when veiwed from the front or rear, caster is the angle of the steering pivot(like the casters on a shopping cart). Think about the chopper from easy rider with the ridiculously stretched forks in the front. The steeper that angle the more turning room you need. If the fork on a bike was angled backwards(like the casters on a shopping cart) it would turn in a smaller area. Here's the thing- longer shackles take away some of the caster in your front end which makes it easier for the wheels to turn but they also make dart side to side like those front wheels on a shopping cart. On top of the loss of caster, longer shackles give the spring more leverage to compress the front bushings sideways alowing a looser feeling in the front end.

I am not knocking lift shackle-I have them and I don't feel any major handling problems but I never drove a stock jeep so I have nothing to compare it to.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode