Beadlock ?'s !!!!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 01:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Beadlock ?\'s !!!!!

Just got a e-mail from stockton about thier beadlocks, and they said the rings were .189 thick...That translated to 3/16 on my ruler, what are the other brands thickneses? I checked MRT.....After I woke from passing out, I couldnt see the point in asking the thickness of theirs!!!

It's as close to a 1ton as it can get and still be a jeep!!! Gotta love it!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 05:16 PM

Re: Beadlock ?\'s !!!!!

I bought mine through National Tire and wheel. They're Eaton wheels with the Bart Wheels lock rings added. They don't even seem to be that thick. I've seen the MRT they are pretty beefy.
However, for the money I've beat the @#$% outta mine and not had any problems at all. Seems that I got mine for right at $118 each. I know the MRT's are a little pricey'er. Don't know the price on the Stockton.

RocknCJ [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

for those who would trade a little freedom,
for a little security
...will soon find they have neither. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 05:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've got stocktons on mine they are a few years old, they are not that thick, I'm planning on putting thicker ones on, maybe they upgraded to a thicker piece. The wheels have been great the beads never loosen up, but I do bend them on occasion. I keep a 2 lb. maul under the seat just in case I need it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 06:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you get a chance to measure the thickness of yours, could you get back with me on it? High5 used to have a set of barts, they were really thin but he didnt have any troubles during the time he had them...I'm not having trouble keeping the tires on the rim, I'm just tired of breaking them down to clean the dirt out because they're leaking!!

post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 07:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

mine are .0875...less than 3/32. They don't leak as a rule but I bend them quite often, of course I bash them into everything with total disregard, : )... and if I hear a leak I smack em w/ the hammer until it stops leaking. I do want thicker rings though, I've thought about using silicon, but it hasn't come to that yet.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 07:00 AM

My Samarui buddy Jake hallenbeck, runs Barts. He says he wont use them again but they dont bust bolts off. They tend to develope leake now and then due to bending the rings though. A couple of freinds I wheel with run Stockton Wheels, and they arent thrilled with them but they also dont seem to be busting bolts. Of course anyone running champion, are pleased with the wheels, but I think they cut up pretty easily. I cant say anything bad about the MRTs they are extremely tough and not that expensive, they are running about $140 for 15x10 if you stay with the 3 1/2" backspacing, special backspacing adds $10 per wheel. They are not the quickest company though, and they tend stay perpetualy backordered. The nice thing about the MRT is that the ring is so thick that after about the 3rd tightening, the ring is actually snug against the wheel, and will no longer need as frequent checking and tightening,(I would say they really need no retightening after that, but its wise to check them anyway).
There is another company making some really nice beadlocks now also, and cant remember their name, but they have their name lazer cut into the ring, which is the wide variety. They look pretty sharp, and have a good rep so far, but I dont know what they cost.

Jeff
89 YJ
Wow, you can get a nice tan on your arms, from welding with no shirt on.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 07:08 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have an e-mail from marsh(mrt) stating that their rims in 15x10 with 36 bolt locks cost $227.70!!! THe KIT, which is just the rings and bolt for their 18 bolt beadlocks is $143.75 EACH !!! Least thats what they told me!! I put that cost right up there with Champion...If you think of the other co. that makes em, give me a holler...I'm not coming up with too many avenues to go down!!

post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 07:20 AM

Damn, I must have good connections. I just bought another 15x10 with 3" backspacing about a month ago for $173.00, and that was with the extra $10 for special backspacing, plus, shipping and tax.

Jeff
89 YJ
Wow, you can get a nice tan on your arms, from welding with no shirt on.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 07:21 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Maybe the thinner rings are ok, I never have re-tightened or broken bolts, I'm running a 14" wide wheel in the rear with about 4 lbs. so the bead is pretty easy to hit on stuff. I think I'll call stockton, and see what they are offering now...
I've only lost the bead once since I got the locks and that was a front wheel when I bent the crap outta the inner bead. (I launched off a cliff in attica, in second gear, and hit the only rock around with the right front, looked great up until then though, nice freefall, then POOF)

post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 08:22 AM
Veteran

Anybody consider getting that internal "tireloc" kit instead? I had brought this up before, wondering if anyone had done it yet. Its like $760 for the kit for 4 tires, but you could save yourself the cost of buying new rims (or buy regular rockcrawlers for cheap).

-Mel

http://www.in2jeeps.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode