Locker -- Dana (Spicer) or Lock Right (Powertrax)? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 06:57 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Locker -- Dana (Spicer) or Lock Right (Powertrax)?

Anyone know anything about a Spicer Dana Trac Lok? Or how about a Lock Right by Powertrax? I could get both for a really good deal, and I know they're not the best lockers out there, but I'm on a student's budget!
Is either one better than the other? I'll be putting it in my rear AMC 20 axle.
Thanks for any suggestions as always,

Jed
80 CJ7 258w/TR,Holley carb,5" lift,33x12.5's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 07:02 AM
Matt M38A1

Re: Locker -- Dana (Spicer) or Lock Right (Powertrax)?

Trac-Loc is a clutched limited slip from DANA. That's what you get when you get a LSD from the factory.

Lock right is one of the drop in lockers. Uses the open diff, provides true "locking", not just limiting slip.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 07:04 AM
Keyboard Implanted

the trak loc isnt truly a locker... it's a limited slip.. meaning that the tires have to spin a bit for it to lock the tires together.. i have found that ince one of the tires begins to slip.. it's too late for the other to help... the lockright is a true locker, and what you want. if your jeep didnt come from the factory with a track lock, you'd have to install a new carrier for it and that wouild mean setting up your gears again....while the lockright will install into a stock open carrier but not a limited slip carrier.

~~Elusive~~
http://www.jeepgod.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 08:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Jed, if you spend a little extra and spring for the powertrax No-Slip locker you will be very happy. It is very mild manored. Hard to tell it is there until you need it. With the Lock-Right you will get used to it also. I have had both and they both are good units. Rick

'98 TJ Sport, 31" BFG's (for now), Tera 3", No-Slip in the Dana 44, HS 9500i, SYE.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 01:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thank you all. I didn't realize the DANA wasn't a true locker. I'll go with the other, then, or look into the No-slip version if it's not too much more. Any suggestions on an easy install? I'd like to do it in 2 weeks, because I'm taking the Jeep to Moab at the end of June.
Later,

Jed
80 CJ7 258w/TR,Holley carb,5" lift,33x12.5's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode