Transmission ID Help - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

Transmission ID Help

Could someone please help with IDing this transmission. It is a Borg-Warner supposedly out of a 2wd '78 F 150. It is a manual four speed. Numbers on it: 8B17 and also 13-01-065-904. I bought it b/c they said it was a T18. I am starting to question it. Because of work time constraints (they really should pass a law that Jeepers who do R&D for Jeeps don't have to work)anyway this is what does checkout-short input shaft(10 spline), my Jeep clutch, pilot bushing and bell housing do fit it. I did not check the output-have to pull the yoke etc. I want to put this into my 76 CJ5. Do I have a T18????? Man it is a big tranny compared to the T150. It will marry to a D20 transfer case. Help with that would also be appreciated. By the looks an adapter is needed to do this. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

Re: Transmission ID Help

Figured it out-it is a T18. Next question-I am cheap and don't want to spend the ~$450 on the output adapter to bolt on my D20. Heard a D300 bolts to this? Is this true for the 2wd version? What is the best and most cost conservative way?

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 09:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

A 13-01 casting is definitely a T-18. You will have to change the mainshaft and put an adapter plate on it, available from either Novak or Advance Adapters. You will also need a pilot bushing to use that input shaft in the crank. Then the rear drive shaft will need to be shortend or get a CV and the front will need to be lenghtened. If you pull off the cover, makesure the input shaft has 17 teeth attached to it. That will ensure that you have a 6.32 low. Also, you'll have to move your skidplate towards the rear to some existing holes in the frame.

Here are a few links.
http://users.rcn.com/jeepfan/t18_swap.htm
http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/convtrans/cjt18/
http://www.offroaders.com/info/tech-...18-rebuild.htm

-Jay
Denver, CO
1978 CJ-5 258 Weber, 'glass body
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 09:27 AM
Addict

I could be wrong but I thought that the only Dana 300 that was a direct bolt on was from an '80 Scout that used the T-19 tranny. I haven't run across one in my neck of the woods, I've heard they're rare and $$$ if the owner realizes what he has.

Why drive a luxo-box SUV when you can lay in the dirt busting your knuckles under old iron? '77 CJ-5, '64 S2A Land Rover
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 12:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You probably don't want to go w/ the T-18/D300 combo in a CJ-5. You will still need an adapter, and the Jeep D300 adapter is a couple inches longer than the D20 adapter. If in the unlikely event that you could find a Scout Dana 300, you would still need the Dana 20 adapter kit.

-Jay
Denver, CO
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 12:33 PM
I Do This For The Glory

What?

No kits are needed when adding the Scout 300, you will need the bull gear for the D300 though. My older brother did this in his CJ-5 and it works great, the only thing he had to buy was the pilot bushing from AA. Good luck finding a Scout D300 though.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 05:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm pretty sure you would need an adapter because the Scout Dana 300 has a "Texas" bolt pattern, the same as the Dana 20. A Ford 2wd T-18 does not have a Texas bolt pattern on the back of it.

-Jay
Denver, CO
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 08:38 PM
I Do This For The Glory

What was I thinking, we swapped the guts from the Ford into a Jeep T-18 (not T18a), and the D300 fit right on the back. So yes, you will need one for the Ford.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode