Power change running 30 x 9.5 tires - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 06:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Power change running 30 x 9.5 tires

hi,

i currently have 32 x 11.5, 15 tires on my 2" lifted CJ7 (with stock gearing, T5 ) and need to replace the tires soon.

running the 32's are really sluggish on hills on the highway and would like to replace them with something smaller which would give me more uphill/passing power. my 5th gear is pretty much useless (can't really accelerate on it with any kind of incline or headwind) and running in 4th up a slight hill on the highway is a chore if there are more than 2 people in the truck.

was wondering if anyone notices a significant difference going to 31 x 10.5? or should i just go all the way and get 30 x 9.5?

i don't really go hard core offroad (mostly just fireroads getting to trail heads for backpacking) so big tires don't mean much to me. i mostly drive on highway, etc. and just don't want to get laughed at by my friends when they see a 18 wheeler pass me.

thanks

Jack

83 CJ7 258/T5
Howell/HEI/CenterforceI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 08:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Power change running 30 x 9.5 tires

If you've got the 2.72 gears like I have your Jeep is going to suck wind no matter what tires you put on. I've got 30x9.5's and with the 2.72 gears and it still sucks.
When I bought my tires I thought keeping them small would help. Didn't!!!
If I had it to do over again I would either put on 31x10.5 or 32x10.5 and install 3.54 gears or 33x12.5 or 35x12.5 and install 4.11 gears. Now I'm putting in a ScoutII axle with 3.54 gears and I'll just have to live with the 30x9.5's until I have the cash for the 35's and 4.11 gears.
I got the Scout axle with the 3.54 gears for less then I would have paid for a new gear set and they already have the one piece axle shafts.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 08:18 AM

Re: Power change running 30 x 9.5 tires

Jack
My '85 CJ-7 w/3.31 gears, 258, T5 and 30x9.50 tires does very well for DD. Off the line is good and beating around town the Jeep has no problems. Highway cruising at 60mph is comfortable. At 65 the engine starts to get a little busy but still fine. Above that and it is too much work to keep in one lane
I usually only need to drop down to 4th for climbing big hills when speeds are below 50mph.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode