What bumpers on a TJ with a winch? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 05:13 PM
cocco_78

What bumpers on a TJ with a winch?

I've got a 98 TJ with a warn 8000lb winch, can I use any aftermaket tube bumpers with this setup or do I have to stick with a flat style bumper? Also had anyone had a problem with the rail that the 4wd lever is mounted on vibrating? It doesn't look like there would be a way to tighten this up. Its loose where the rail conects to the body.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 09:49 PM
CJ Bob

Re: What bumpers on a TJ with a winch?

We put a Warn X9000 on my brothers TJ with a after market Double tube bumper, but had to extend the mounting brackets out on the bumper to clear the winch. We later built a flat rock crawler type bumper and fitted it on the TJ. I probably have some pics if you would like to see it.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 10:34 PM

Is your TJ lifted. I have the same problem with mine but i have a 4" superlift. According to the superlift instructions we had to drill out a bigger whole or something like that for the bracket under the transmission tunnel. I haven't checked into fixing the problem. It just doesn't bother me that much and doesn't shake too much. 4wd still works fine.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 07:12 AM
Can't Get Enough

I saw an article on http://www.jpmagazine.com that describes buiding a winch bumper, maybe there are some helpfule hints in there you can use.

82 Scrambler/360/T5/D300/4" SUA/AMC20/Rear Discs/Somers Bros Axles/D30/3:73's/Lockrite Lockers.
2001 Bare Stock Trendy Jeep Sport (everyday driver)
Smithville, Texas
Member TX4X4 Cyber Club
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 08:22 AM
Way Outta Control

What's a TJ?

post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 08:38 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I had the same problem with the 4x4 lever. I took it in to the dealer and they replaced a bushing which cured the problem. Although they created a new problem-it was difficult to shift into and out of 4 wheel drive. I lived with it for a year just thinking that the bushing was tight and would eventually loosen up. I finally noticed that they put the rod that goes to the t-case shift fork on backwards!!!! The rod has a flat spot that clears the t-case since there is little clearance. It was on backwards and rubbing on the case. I would rather work on my Jeep myself than take it to the dealer. Rick

'98 TJ Sport, 31" BFG's (for now), Tera 3", No-Slip in the Dana 44, HS 9500i, SYE.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 08:39 AM
Can't Get Enough

Hey. Hey, Hey, I would have laughed at that a month ago.... but now I own one 'o them thar "T"iny "J"eeps....[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

82 Scrambler/360/T5/D300/4" SUA/AMC20/Rear Discs/Somers Bros Axles/D30/3:73's/Lockrite Lockers.
2001 Bare Stock Trendy Jeep Sport (everyday driver)
Smithville, Texas
Member TX4X4 Cyber Club
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 06:17 PM

Have you seen Olympic 4x4s winch bumper? The winch sits down between the frame rails and the failead sticks out the front of the bumber. Looks like a very beefy setup and well made.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 08:05 PM
cocco_78

Thanks for the info, I've already got a warn winch and mounting plate just wondering what aftermarket bumpers would fit. Anyway I found a TSB for the Vibrating 4wd lever and am bringing it down to my local dealer to see if the can fix it or not, No I don't have much faith in them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode