Tranny/xfer question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2000, 11:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Tranny/xfer question

Does anyone know what transfer case was bolted to the SM420 trans? I haven't been able to find any info on anything older than '71. When did they stop building the SM420? I'm also looking for any info on the length of the SM420 as well as the transfer case that was bolted up behind it... TIA

'56 CJ-5, 283, t-90/d18, 27/44, 2.5"(soon), 33's(soon), cage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2000, 11:40 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Tranny/xfer question

The SM 420 was used between 1947-1968. The overall length is 10.5 inches. I'm not sure what t-case came with it but I would guess something like a NP 205. The SM 465 was used from 1968-1988 and is 12 inches long and it came with either the NP203, NP205, NP 208.

Tim Springer
1980 CJ7
<font color=green>WALSTIB</font color=green>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2000, 01:17 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Don't forget the NP241 and NP242 that were bolted to the SM465 in the later 80's and early 90's.

As I understand it, the SM420 was a loner, it used a divorced transfer case. I have never seen one, just done some checking before I bought the SM465. AA catalogs would have the length. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7"Lift/33"TSL's/IHC D44's 4.10's Lock'd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2000, 11:01 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Any opinions on whether a married transfer case is any better/shorter than a divorced transfer case? I'm considering replaceing my T-90/D18 combo with GM units and am curious as to which tranny/transfer would be best. SM420's are fairly plentiful in my area, so the argument that the SM420's are hard to find doesn't really apply. However, parts would still be a challenge. I guess it's going to come down to how much longer is one versus the other when comparing them both to my current setup (T-90 3spd with Dana 18 transfer). As I've said before, I'm new to the Jeep building scene and I greatly appreciate any inputs/directions as to which way to go. BTW this Jeep is being built for 80% off-road, 20% on-road. It does have to stay street legal and we (Idaho) do have width laws when it comes to how far the tire can be past the body. I'm considering 3/4 ton axles from an older Dodge or GM with the passenger side front diff. I'm leaning towards the Dodge D60 rear-end since it has more ground clearance than the 14 bolt GM rear. Is one better than the other? I would consider a 9" rear, but the local drag racers have driven the price of these little gems up a little too much for my pocket book! Thanks again for all of your patience and willingness to share your experiences/opinions... hube

'56 CJ-5, 283, t-90/d18, 27/44, 2.5"(soon), 33's(soon), cage.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2000, 12:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The easiest way to compare all of the combos is to get Advance Adapters conversion book. It's free and it lists all of the major transmission and transfer case lengths as well as the adapters to put them together. http://www.advanceadapters.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode