Question on fuel drainback from carb - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Question on fuel drainback from carb

A while back we were talking about what seemed to be a fairly common problem with some carbs, fuel draining back from the float bowl after sitting for a while. Is there such a thing as a oneway valve to place in the gas line to keep this from happening? I put a new fuel pump in because some people said that had helped them, but I still have this problem. Are there any fuel filters that might have this type of valve built in? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 06:28 AM
Can't Get Enough

Re: Question on fuel drainback from carb

There is such a thing as a check valve. They come in all shapes and sizes, I'm sure there is one made for the size of fuel lines and being compatible with fuel. I think some of the problem is fuel draining back the return line. I would hesitate to put a check valve in this line because a check valve does require a little pressure to open up, not eunough in the return line or else it will shut off hte line all together. Personally I'm going to put an electric pump in one of these days, either operated with a momentary switch just during starting or I'll go the whole nine yards and have it operate all the time with an oil pressure switch. The oil p. switch is in case the engine stalls you don't have fuel being pumped into the carb, float valve might be forced off seat and fill engine with fuel.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

Re: Question on fuel drainback from carb

How about if you put the check valve after the return line right near the carb? That way the float bowl would stay full when you park it and the return line would be unobstructed. Would summit sell a check valve or do I have to go to a specialty supplier, I've never seen one in a general auto parts store.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode