Few Problems - Need Help - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 12:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Few Problems - Need Help

Okay first of all I am installing my MORE steering brace, and as i am bolting it onto the frame, the nut on the inside of the frame breaks loose. Now the bolt is attatched to the nut which is floating around in the frame and cant loosen either. What should i do about this, I need to install the steering brace before the jeep is driveable. What can I do?

Second I am getting my new leaf spring today as well, and i am getting it without the bushings, they told me it would be easy to get the old ones outta the leaves. I have tried quite a bit of hammering and cant get em out, what is the best way to get them out of the one spring and into the other?

'85 Scrambler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 12:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Few Problems - Need Help

BeerBaron,
I (and many others) have had the same problem installing a steering brace. I ended up cutting a little hole in my frame on the inside (where no one can see it), and got a wrench on that nut. Then a huge breaker bar on the outside head of the bolt, and broke it loos. Then just wratcheted the bolt out. The wrench will jam itself in there, and won't come out until you're done.
As for the springs, my lift came with new bushings - if yours are pretty worn out, you might get some new ones. Yes, you can pull them out of the old ones, but I don't see how without ripping them up. Just my $.02. Good luck on the project,

Jed
80 CJ7 258w/TR,Holley carb,5" lift,33x12.5's.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 02:20 PM

Re: Few Problems - Need Help

Hey BeerBaron, I have the same setup on my CJ-7 and ran into the same problem. Here's what we did to solve the problem:

1) get access to where the nut is sitting (we used a small hole saw on either side of the frame, whichever is better for you).

2) squirt PB blaster onto nut

3) put a wrench into hole and hold nut in place. We used impact tools to unloosen (my feeling is that impact is better than breaker, less chance for wringing the bolt off.

4) when putting back up gunk up the bolt good with JB Weld (since we had it open, we replaced it with a new one). Take a tap, put it up into the nut and hold it down onto the frame. Back the tap out when the JB Weld is dried.

While doing this, there are a couple of other front end mods you might want to consider if you haven't already done them (did all of them at one shot while I had it apart).

1) Slickrock spring hangers, the stock ones are WAY thin and scary! You already have one side off, go ahead and hit the other while you're at it. Rears are nice too.

2) MORE heavy duty steering box bracket to go with the brace. The stock one is less than 1/4 as strong as this beefy thing.

3) Urethane/greasable swaybar bushings.

'83 CJ-7 nothing original but the tub and axle tubes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode