hows that for a weekend ;o) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

hows that for a weekend ;o)

Folks, i currently just have "more problems than a lawyers-briefcase" (chilean proverb)

here's the story...

I got the more or less fixed cj6 back from the garage, engine doesn't start, but that was a matter of minute only...

my friend makes the "V" sign w/ 2 fingers... i think cool-thats b/c the engine started... he says... no, this means ..."the breaks work on the 2nd try only..."

ok, i am on my way home, there are no mirrors on the truck, no turn-signal lights just heavy canvas that blocks sight to the rear - spooky ride believe me... driving by the ear rather than the eye... and i always bear in mind the 2fingers ;o)

in a left turn the right door opens (no mayor casualties)... and crossing a rather busy 2 lane one-way street, the engine dies, and something in the tranny jams up... short story... i am blocking both lanes.. the truck wouldn't budge.. police arrives, find a license plate in the rear of the truck that does not go w/ the other one in the frong (yeah. how do i know) ... they run a check on the license plate .... stolen... my jeep has NO papers whatsoever... no title, no safety inspection and the last time they paid the anual road-use fee was 6yrs ago...

somehow i manage to get out of the mess explaining the unexplainable (in a foreign language), w/o any fines (nor pribe)... and just like its pulling my leg, the engine starts again...gotta love a truck w/ personality ;o)

ok, meanwhile my GF is "pretty worked up" (using conservative terms here - after all i missed the church-part of her sisters wedding ...

i manage to bring the jeep home, just to note around midnight (coming home from the wedding, in which i have been sucking up for hours .... just to note that the tank is leaking...

and just in case if you wonder... yes, if the tank is leaking in a CJ6... its leaking INTO the jeep... so basically you are sitting in a pond of gas...bad time to light up a smoke ;o)

so after trying the old garden-hose-sucking trick (swallowed about a pint of gas w/o any results)...i crank the engine to burn the fuel rather to fill the jeep w/ it...

suddenly it occurs to me... HOT EXHAUST PIPE!!!! ... and fuel-dripping jeep...not a real good combination

so i take out the garden hose and start cooling things off... meanwhile i am wet and smell like a gas station... my GF even loves me more now... the neighbours... (... but then, lets not go into that much detail )

finally the engine dies and after a brief period of swearing (about 3hrs.) i manage to pull the tank...(its just 4 nuts that have been rust-frozen for the last 21yrs)

this was on saturday, and i am still smelling like gasoline...

today i will look into the tank-thing a little bit more...

Imagine all those Grand-Cherokee, Pathfinder, Nissan TerraX, Explorer, etc...
guys... THEY DONT EVEN KNOW WHAT THEY ARE MISSING with their $30k rigs :O)

... to be continued....

i guess i am a jeeper now... ;o)

alfred

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 12:05 PM
Veteran

Re: hows that for a weekend ;o)

And the point was? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Hehe, two fingers are still better then one when it comes to signs. Yeah, you're a jeeper now. Just don't let anybody point to parts on your truck. It might fall off...

'91 YJ,I-6,2.5" lift,Boomerangs,33s,D30,D35c,Lock-Rights F&R
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 12:07 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Welcome to the wonderful world of jeep ownership my friend.

If I can help with anything, let me know.

I know it sounds corny and like a little kid, but make peace with your jeep. They do have personalities, and if you develop a working friendship, it won't leave you stranded. Those of you that have owned enough older jeeps know what I am talking about, jeeps do have personalities. While mine has had it's share of problems, it has always broken down either right in my driveway or at the best possible time and not the worst. I like to think it's greatful because I rescued it from the scrap heap.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 12:11 PM
Keyboard Implanted

great story... sonds like something that happens to me every time i put my jeep on the trailer and go somewhere with it.

~~Elusive~~
http://www.jeepgod.com
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 12:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

This was the condition after you got it from the garage? Haha.. what was it like before it was at the "garage"!!

<font color=blue> Muddynut </font color=blue>
<font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] 78 CJ7 "Issues" </font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 01:14 PM
WSB

Only one word comes into my mind while reading this: DUMBASS!

Sounds like you should have trailered the POS or had it flatbeded
home.

Wayne

post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 05:05 PM

evidently, WSB doesn't own a jeep. matt

post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 05:13 PM
jeepfiend

He just doesn't understand that we always hope for the best. We know that things MIGHT go wrong, but we always hope for the best. Perhaps he has spent too much time driving rigs from Nippon, or too much time staring at a computer monitor, some of those programmers are really weird[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img].

Cage Up, Wheels Down
Jeepfiend
All my Jeeps are in pieces!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

"Only one word comes into my mind while reading this: DUMBASS!"

... yeah, but at least one with a CJ6 .... ;o))))

Alfred

ps: I am not sure if i am the only one who sniffed too much gasoline ....hahaha!

post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 07:08 PM

what.. no flat tires? ahhhh jeeps.. they are a beautiful thing.. if i were you, i would consider myself fortunate. if it had been me, and i was sitting there in a puddle of gas, after all these events, my wife would have taken up smoking, just so she could throw a match in there with me. gotta love it.

J ust
E mpty
E very
P ocket
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode