Soft Top Choices - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2000, 10:16 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Soft Top Choices

I recently got a 79 CJ7 with a hard top and a full 6 pt roll cage that is not tied to the frame. Now that summer is coming I am looking at soft top choices. I have a newer SuperTop on my CJ5 and a 5 or so year old Tiger Top on my CJ6, the thing is both of these already had the tops on when I purchased them, so I have not looked into tops before. I am ruling out the tiger top for now. Here is where I am between the supertop and the new sunrider top. I noticed that the sunrider cannot be ordered with doors, will the hard doors on my CJ work with this top? The doors I have are the newer style paddle handles. I know that this is broad but is there a company that offers these tops cheaper than the rest? Thanks Much

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2000, 08:14 AM
Enthusiast

Re: Soft Top Choices

When I bought a Supertop last year, Leon Rossers's had the lowest price. I bought one for the other jeep earlier this year when carparts.com had unlimited 1/3 off. Carparts.com keeps having specials (but not unlimited 1/3 off), so check with them. Quadratec usually has good prices too. I think the tops will work with your doors, but check with Bestop to be sure. I think the website is bestop.com and you can get an 800 number from the site.

jerry

87 XJ 4.0 5spd
90 YJ 4.2 5spd
95 YJ 2.5 5spd
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2000, 09:40 AM
utahjeepr

You might also want to look at the tops made by a company called "Rock Gear" from New Mexico. I saw a few of their tops on the trails in Moab this year and talked to the guys at thier display. I really liked what I saw and will be buying a top from them. Their top disassembles in sections down to a bikini top allowing various degrees of coverage. The neatest part though is that all the parts store in pockets built into the "bikini top" allowing easy storage without cluttering up the inside of the Jeep. They also have what they call "soft-hard doors" as an option, where the lower section of their 2-piece door has an insert to make it very solid, but still looks like a soft half door.

My other car is a BULLDOZER
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2000, 10:10 AM
Keyboard Implanted

i have a sunrider on my jeep and the hard doors fit perfect.. i never take them off, but the latches for the top are hard to get to with my roll cage.. the sunrider has clips on the windshield frame that you have to turn to get the top down, and they are RIGHT behind the top bar of my cage.. it still works, but its something to look at

~~Elusive~~
it's sort of still a cj thingy....see it at www.jeepgod.net
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2000, 01:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You might want to do a search...a few months ago there was a similiar discussion, and a few guys complained that the sunrider tops and their equivalents tend to leak around the windshield and along the tops of the doors...the extra complication makes it hard to get a good seal I guess. I can't testify to anything beyond my supertop which works great. Whatever you get, if you have to choose between the brushed finish and the glossy finish, get the brushed...it looks better longer. (Supertop calls one denim and the other glossy or something like that...)

Evolution of tools: stone, hammer, wrench, socket, impact, really big hammer, blue wrench.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode