Warranty Question - Please help - - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 09:17 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Warranty Question - Please help -

Hey all,

My girlfriend has a Ford Explorer 1997 - SHe bought it used at a dealer. her service light came on and she took it in for service. SHe has the extended warranty. They are trying to make her pay for the test they did to find out that it was the gas cap. They want like $150 just for doing the test.!!!!

Wouldn't this be under the warranty?

84CJ7 SOA,35's,OnboardAir,Dual winches,Full Cage,Snorkels, and more
OverMost 4WD Club
JerseyWheelers Club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 09:26 AM

Re: Warranty Question - Please help -

It depends, you have to read the warranty agreement carefully. After aa standard warranty is up and the extended one takes over they may not cover everything. The extended warranty may only cover the drivetrain(engine-trans and axles). If the "check engine" light came on I would say that the problem was in the engine even if it was the gas cap. Don't forget that the warranty may only cover parts and labor not diagnosis.

Next time the light comes on let me know, I'm just looking for an excuse to go down the shore(it is summer and the jeeps almost done) and I'll bring my snap-on scanner down and check it for a six pack of coronas.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 09:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yes, thanks. She bought the extended warranty which covers the drivetrain and electronics or something, I forget how they word it. So the extended warranties don't cover the testing?

84CJ7 SOA,35's,OnboardAir,Dual winches,Full Cage,Snorkels, and more
OverMost 4WD Club
JerseyWheelers Club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 09:54 AM
Can't Get Enough

Alot of times the extended warranty does not cover the diagnostics. We just took my wife F-150 in for some work and the ABS brake light had come on. They charged us for the diagnostics (actually for the deductible, $100) and the extended warranty covered the sensor that was bad. By the way if she has a deductible on the extended warranty its probably like ours and you have to pay it each time you have something done, its not a yearly deductible.

82 Scrambler/360/T5/D300/4" SUA/AMC20/Rear Discs/Somers Bros Axles/D30/3:73's/Lockrite Lockers.
2001 Bare Stock Trendy Jeep Sport (everyday driver)
Smithville, Texas
Member TX4X4 Cyber Club
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 02:08 AM
Keyboard Implanted

The check engine light came on 'cause the gas cap was bad??? That is the most rediculous thing I ever heard. I'd tell them just to fix it, not diagnose it...wait for their answer on that one![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I find it hard to believe that a warranty (of any type) would cover repairs but not a diagnosis of what repairs were actually needed. I worked for 5 years as a Chrysler/Plymouth tech and if it was under warranty, it got fixed for free or deductable.

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo, It's got a coat of primer on and will be painted this weekend!!!!!!!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 06:43 AM
I Do This For The Glory

We have had the extended warranty on all our vehicles, with different companies. They have tried the same thing with us, but we just tell them, there is a problem, fix the problem. They are willing to do this to a point. They say if they find a problem, then they'll bill the warranty company. However, if they don't find a problem, we get the bill for the diagnostics. We have never paid a diagnostic bill.

With OBD II, how can they charge you $150 for a gas cap leaking? It's not like they have to do a lot of diagnosing, the computer tells you everything. Sounds like they're trying to rip you off.

I would look hard through the extended warranty paperwork though, and see what it says.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 06:49 AM
Matt M38A1

Also, read your owners manual on the part about emissions equipment. By Federal law the manufacturer has to cover that stuff for 7 years or 70,000 miles irregardless of the other factory or extended warranties. You may be able to argue that the gas cap is an emmssions control device (Gas fumes). The manual may tell you, though, that diagnostics are not covered. I had a mechanic tell me about this little trick. So when your EGR's or O2 sensors go at 40,000 miles the dealer owns 'em.

Also, can anyone tell me where the sensor is located on those cars that sets of the check engine light when you have a gas cap issue?

post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 07:23 AM

There is no sensor, the computer senses a vacuum leak through the evaporative emmissions system(charcoal canister). There are actualy some cars(don't ask which ones because I have only read it in service manuals and never seen it in person) that wont run right with the cap off or not sealing.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 08:49 AM

I had a similar experience with my '94 Sahara. A stupid part failed (the gas tank sending unit rusted away in '97), and they said it wasn't covered. At first I was going to blow-up, but then I counted to 10 and asked for the service manager. I explained how I paid good money for the Jeep, and that I even paid extra for the warranty, and that it was a ridiculous charge I shouldn't incur. He agreed, and covered the cost $500! Give it a try. Don't argue with the counter people, they love confrontation.

'84 CJ-7, 4.2, 3.5" Lift, 31's, YJ tub, TR upgrade, Moser 1 piece, LED's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode