YJ Buildup - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 08:37 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

YJ Buildup

Alright, this is what we are planning. '87 YJ with 400sbc/s-10 700R4 tranny and s-10 np231 transfer case. The front and rear differentials out of a 1979ish ford f150. Watcha think, half way decent setup? thanks mick

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 12:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: YJ Buildup

Sounds good.

<font color=blue> Muddynut </font color=blue>
<font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] 78 CJ7 "Issues" </font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 09:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

thanks, i starting to wander if anybody knew or cared. can you see any unforseen problems, thanks mick

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 09:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

UMMM

What differentials would those be??

a 9" in the rear and a 44 up front?

if so, good choice

[b]Boston Mangler
89 YJ With A Bunch Of Goodies
See It At:
http://www.yankeetoys.org/mangler/
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 09:58 PM

Does that n31 have a slip yoke? If it does I'm not sure if the jeep 231 sye will fit the s-10 231. What side is the pig on the f-150 axles? I assume the the 231 has a drivers side out put? Have you decide on tires, wheels or suspnesion yet? these guys know everything.
BarrelRoll

97 TJ 30" ko's stock but not for long
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 10:11 PM
joeybcdt

What differentials WOULD those be?

In 1979, the F100 was Ford's 1/2 ton PU. Wasn't the F150 Ford's 5/8 ton? Ford had a 5/8 ton to get around the emmissions laws that the 1/2 ton was subject to.

I may be getting my years mixed up.

Joey

post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 11:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey, I just put a 350/700R4/NP241 into my 92 Wrangler. Your setup will be almost identical to mine. I used a trans from an S-10, the t-case is from a 3/4 ton Chevy. I used conversion mounts and radiator from 4WD Hardware. The only problem I had was that the fan was too close to the radiator with the stock driveshaft. I thought about elec fans, but opted to shorten the driveshft by 1" instead. I though, at first, that this was the more difficult option. However, the driveshaft was much easier to shorten that installing elec fans. You will probably need some custom driveshaft work for those Ford axles anyway. Just a thought......if you can find Dana 60 axles from an F-250, you'll be thankful you took the extra time. Dana 60's are almost indestructable, but, if you drive like me, that small block 400 will eat those Dana 44's in no time - hehe.
Good luck. If you need some more info on the swap, drop me a line.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 01:49 AM

How did you match the Chevy T case passenger side drop with, YJ or Ford driver side drop axles?
I also dont understand how shortening your drive shaft, gave you more room between your radiator and engine?
Very confusing.

Jeff
89 YJ
Wow, you can get a nice tan on your arms, from welding with no shirt on.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 07:29 AM

Actually Jeff, S10s have the differential on the left side. I don't see shortening a driveshaft being easier than electric fans though?

Now some points of interest on the swap....Are you going to drive the truck on the street?If so, can you do so legaly in you state with full width axles sticking out of the fenders?Do you already have the axles?If not, there are two different front axles for a 79 f150. The standard f150 has coilsprings and radius arms up front, while the supercab has leaf springs. Either axle is the same width but the one from a leaf sprung truck would be easier to adapt. If you don't have the axles yet, try looking for 75-77 bronco axles. They are shorter but are still a dana44 and 9".
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 08:57 AM

Love the sb 400 chevy, one thing to watch out for, and forgive me because it's been awhile, but I believe you will need an externally balanced flexplate for the 400. Since it was never mated to the 700r, you will need to get one off a newer small block, and have it balanced for a 400. Unless, of course, the old 400 flexplate can mate up to a 700r touque converter. I had this problem with my 400, I tried to mate it to a 4 speed, but supposely 400's never came mated to 4 speeds, so a machine shop had to balance a flywheel for me, no big deal, it cost $75 i think.

'84 CJ-7, 4.2, 3.5" Lift, 31's, YJ tub, TR upgrade, Moser 1 piece, LED's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode