TJ Tcase Problem - Please advise.. :) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 07:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

TJ Tcase Problem - Please advise.. :)

hey all,

About 5months ago or so my rear driveshaft came loose and it dropped off the rear. It wacked around a few times. I reinstalled the drive shaft and all and a few weeks later I noticed that the tcase was leaking. I also noticed that the drive shaft boot was missing.

I had my truck in for service for something else and I had them replace the seal and boot. A few days after I got the jeep back I was going down the highway and the Boot broke loose, and disappeared. When I stopped, the tcase was leaking fluid again.

I took it back to get it replaced (for free) and last night it did the same thing.

I have a few questions. Does the boot keep the tcase from leaking? I can deal with not having the boot but its leaking and I need to figure this out. A buddy has told me that the "cone" on the tcase has a bushing inside it and if the bushing is worn then the driveshaft is wobbling around enough to kill the new seal.. Does anybody have any suggestions?

I was told that I can replace the whole piece (cone, seal, bushing) at once and I should be ok. I am just trying to see if anybody knows anything about it.

Its a 97, 4cyl, 5spd.

thanks!

84CJ7 SOA,35's,OnboardAir,Dual winches,Full Cage,Snorkels, and more
OverMost 4WD Club
JerseyWheelers Club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 08:12 AM

Re: TJ Tcase Problem - Please advise.. :)

How did the driveshaft come loose? U-joint failure right? Well any way, if the driveshaft was spinning when it came out(I assume it was cause you said it banged around a few times) the drive shaft could be now out of balance. If it is vibrating going down the road the slip yoke can eat up seals (it would have to be vibrating real bad though). Or you could have damaged the output housing(tailshaft housing-cone-whatever) leading to the seal never sitting right. Call the dealer and get a price on the cone, if it's not too much you might as well try it. And by the way, what ever you do don't run the T/C dry...they hate that.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 08:19 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

yeah, I was thinking the driveshaft was tweaked too.. but I don't have any more vibration than I did in the last 50k miles.

I think maybe when the drive shaft came loose, it might have messed up the cone and that bushing that I was told about. I am going to jack the jeep up tonight and see if I can wiggle the slip yoke any and see if there is any play.

Thanks.

OverMost 4WD Club
JerseyWheelers Club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 08:22 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Hey you didnt tell me that the driveshaft came out. How the heck did you do that. Any way i would have the driveshaft checked to make sure its not bent. If it is out of wack it would eat a seal up pretty quick.

Can someone please bring me a hammer my 33's just ate my fender again. Damn i need more lift.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 12:19 PM
Old Hand

If you find you need the new cone/housing, I just put an SYE on my tcase from my 2000 and have the old housing here. It still has the bearing in it, you just need the new seal. You pay for shipping and it's yours.

A man's got to believe in something, I believe I'll have another[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 12:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey, I think I will take you up on that offer! now, this is for a tcase in a 4cyl jeep right? I am going to first see if my drive shaft is balanced first. Then i will decide if I am going to replace the cone. I think its the cone though.

OverMost 4WD Club
JerseyWheelers Club
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 12:23 PM
Old Hand

Oh yeah, I also have my stock tcase shaft and stock rear driveshaft if it turns out to be one those causing you problems.

A man's got to believe in something, I believe I'll have another[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 12:42 PM
Old Hand

No, it's from a 6 cyl. I don't know if or what the difference is but I'm sure someone on here can tell us. I'm about to go back to work, i'm on lunch now, so I'll check back with you after work or you can email at [email protected]

post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 10:43 AM
Addict

It's the same t-case housing. I have an assembly print of the case. If it's a 231 then it's a 231. The only difference is the 99 and up have dampers on them, wich means there is a ground diameter on the shaft for the damper to press fit on the shaft.

If your kidneys don't hurt, it's not a real Jeep!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode