lockright diff. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 07:02 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

lockright diff.

Has anyone run into, or heard of any problems with the lockrights in a front axle ? ...I'd like the cable locker, but I guess they arn't out for the 60s yet, and I rather wait and see how they hold-up.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 09:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: lockright diff.

I know of several destroyed ones, all in the rear. I've been running one in the front for over 1 1/2 yrs. with no problem other than impossible steering on the slickrock!

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
http://rockgarden.rockcrawler.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 09:59 AM

i have had a lockright in mine for about 1 year, no problems yet, i am running 32x10.5 w/ a 302, i have been told big tires and big hp can be tough on them.

gdm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 10:04 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Randy's R&P said there not too awful strong...They are recomending a ARB, if I can get the knuckles/spindles I want (with lockouts), I'll just weld the carrier and be done with it

post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 11:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've had a lockright in the rear (8.8) of my F-150 for 4 years. It's behind a 300 I6, and a 5spd...with 32" tires. I've put it through it's paces and never had a problem. The truck has extra leaves in the packs, and air helpers, and I've had an honest 4150#'s of seed in the bed to take to the field...when I turned into the field, I was on dry pavement, and I had to come to a full stop...so I was stopped, and turning while accelerating, on dry pavement, with god knows how much weight on both rear tires, and 12" wide tires both grabbing with all their might (and this was the point at which I thought the lock right was gonna bite it), but it held up fine. No signs of wear, no problems, not a single complaint. I've been very pleased with mine.

Moneyless, Will weld for jeep accessories.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 12:00 PM
Keyboard Implanted

bob, if you are thinking that the lockright may be a bit softer(less aggressive) locker that would be better in the front, thats just not the case.. i have experienced that my lockright is at least as aggressive as any of the detroits i have run. I have a spare 35 spline carrier if you wanna weld it.....

~~Elusive~~
http://www.jeepgod.com
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 02:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thx Elusive...Well I picked brains all over the place (slim pickens) ...I did learn (at the ford truck shop) that a hub/bearing for a f-450 cost almost $400 each... : 0
And the generic term for the newer style front ends is "live spindle" , and that the bearing mount surfaces seem to be the same on alot of d50 and d60 stuff. Still shopping for the perfect set-up (cheap)...

gotta run...4:00 tee time : )

post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 02:13 PM
scram

I would go for it buy one and drive her. They seem to be stronger than people give them credit for sometimes. SCRAM

It's All Out or Nothing At All!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode