Flat towing '94 YJ - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 12:35 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Flat towing \'94 YJ

Hi all,

Man, been a while since I posted here.

My in-laws have asked to borrow my Jeep to tow behind their motorhome on a cross-country trip. Is it wise to flat tow a '94 YJ with the NP231? I heard that they do not have a true neutral, so it can cause damage over long trips. So, this would mean that the rear shaft would have to be disconnected, but not the front due to the axle disconnect, right?

I guess I could just take out the rear shaft and they can drive it around in FWD. hehehe.

If is is in fact OK to tow it long distances with the driveshafts in, what should the transmission be in? I seem to recall hearing T-Case Neutral, Tranny in 4th at one point, but I don't remember.

Any help would be appreciated. I've already done a search of the archives and couldn't find my answer.

Thanks,

Marc
Webmaster, Contagious Off-road
http://contagious-racing.8m.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 01:39 AM
Old Hand

Re: Flat towing \'94 YJ

Well,

Here's my take on it. The tcase bearings don't get lubricated when flat towing. I know a guy who has towed his wrangler to Montana from San Diego and back several times with no apparent problem.

If it were me, I wouldn't like the extra risk....especially with someone else paying attention to the little things.

Hey, since they are borrowing your Jeep maybe you have them spot for the full floater kit with lockout hubs. That way you have no risk......well, no risk if you don't have a locker up front. If you have a locker up front, you should really have lockout hubs up there for flat towing for the same reason.

One other thing...If they are driving all the way across the country and then staying in one place where they would use the Jeep, unhooking the drive shafts isn't hard. But, if they are driving and stopping every day that is going to get old.

And finally, if you haven't put a slip yoke eliminator on the rear output, you really can't pull the rear drive shaft and drive in front wheel drive without losing most of your tcase fluid out the slip yoke. I once had to drive 30 miles without the rear shaft (limping out of a trail) and I tried to rig up a cover for the fluid, but I still lost a quart or two.

Hope that helps.

-raymo
4.6 Stroker Scrambler
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 01:02 PM

For some reason I'm thinking that the 94 was the transition year. Check the towing instructions in the owners manual.

If you don't, you can always get a 2LO like the one that JBConversions sells that gives you one.

John
95.5 YJ with "stuff"
94 GMC Z71 with less "stuff"
http://SonsofThunder4x4.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 05:23 PM
sas87yj

my 87 owner's manual says ok to tow with transcase in neutral and tranny in gear. i tow mine but drop both shafts and wire them up. rear won't leak fluid if you don't pull out from transcase and wire to something. front shaft is just added insurance. i messed up once and thought i had transcase in neutral but wasn't. stopped and checked under and found rear shaft had been a spinnin![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] good thing i had it wired up good. after that trip i always take both shafts off. it is a pain but worth it because i have heard too many stories of fried transcase when towing. i have a SYE/CV so no fluid leaks.

steve
87yj,6cly,5spd(ba10[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]),4.5"RE lift,SYE,CV,32x11.50MTR's,D30,D35posi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode