year of body - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2001, 10:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

year of body

I have just got my first jeep, definatly won't be the last. the title and vin # say 59 willys but the body says jeep and you can see where they have moved the steering colum and a few other small things. does anyone know when they stared putting jeep on the side and tailgate instead of willys? its a cj5. will f head 4 and t90 tranny. everything but the body say 59. this probably wont be the last ??? as the wife has big plans for her new toy.

Thanks for your time
Scott

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 04:53 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: year of body

im not sure on this either... i have a '63 willys... says jeep on the side.. and willys on tailgate.. i havent done much research on it.. its my backburner project for now... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

http://www.jeepgod.net

84 CJ-7 401/T-18/D20/D44/D60w/4.10&Detriots/YJ frame & tub/35x16x15 Boggers
<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 10:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

A buddy at work came over and pointed it out. he said he has a 62 that still says willys on both side and tailgate.
the gas tank isn't under the seat so I am guessing it has been moved. I need a new tank but don't know what to get. I would also like a skid plate for the tank. But not sure what will fit this body unless I try to make something.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 10:43 AM
Nickmil

Pretty much all CJ-5's say Jeep on the side. I can't remember if the M38a1's do but don't think so. Basically from '1955 on up it should say Jeep. If it doesn't then it is probably an aftermarket body. If It says Willy's then that would be highly unusual unless it was a WW2 Script body flat fender and the Willy's was normally on the back in the left rear, same place Ford had the Script on the GPW's. The tailgates interchange from the '45 CJ-2a until the 1975 CJ. (all universals) so someone could have put it on. Can't go by the tailgate to tell what year it is. If it has an underseat tank, F-head motor, Ross steering (although it is common to change to Saginaw steering), short CJ style fenders, and has an 81" wheel base with offset, two piece axled dana 44 rear and a Dana 25 front, probably 5.38 gears, and probably top mounted wipers on the windshield, with a tool box under the passenger seat, then it is probably a '59. I have a '59 CJ-5 and a '59 CJ-6 myself. Have fun with your new toy! Nickmil.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 12:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The gas tank is the only think that isn't in the right place. It is behind the rear end. Will a skid plate from a newer cj5 work
Thanks for the info
Scott

post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 01:23 PM
Nickmil

Gonna have to get out the tape measure. If it has a tank under the rear then who knows what's there. Original tank was under the driver's seat. If someone put in a tank from a '68-'75 then the skid plate from that will work. As far as one from a '76 up you will have to measure the tank and the skid plate and see. Might be better off building one. Good luck. Nickmil.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 11:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I agree with Nick about building your own skidplate. The stock one on my '75 really isn't much of a skidplate. One good sharp rock would open it like a can of soup.

'75 CJ5,258 w/Howell EFI,T18a,4.27's,33's,On-board air,Warn 8274
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode