steering stabilizers - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2001, 10:17 PM
Joker2002

steering stabilizers

First of all, I just wanted to ask, are steering stabilizers nothing more than ordinary shocks? The main question I had was this. I'm about to put 31x12.50/R15s on my 15x8s, and I was wondering if I should go ahead and buy a new steering stabilizer while I'm at it. The one on my 1993 Renegade is stock so it is VERY old. I just want to make sure that buying a new one will be worth my money, because to tell you the truth, I'm not that much of an off-roader. Thanks.

Joker2002
'93 Wrangler Renegade / 4.0L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2001, 11:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: steering stabilizers

I put new ones on after 10 years and noticed a huge difference. That was with 31x10.5x15's. Helped snug the front end up considerably. Do you notice any shimmy over bumps or rough road? If not, good chance you won't notice any difference.

Lee

86CJ7 258 T-176/D300 D30/D44 31" BFG-A/T
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 08:46 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

They can considerably help the ride with larger tires. But you should keep in mind that a steering stabilizer is like a band aid. It doesn't solve the problem, just covers it up. I'd run your existing one with the new tires, get the suspension as accurate as possible, THEN throw on the stabilizer.

canis
'82 CJ-7/360/727/D300/cobra, M.O.R.E. shackles, 1/2" steel bumper, 1" body lift and lots of ideas!

'96 ZJ - 4.0L/42re/np242/optima/cobra and other goodies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 09:07 AM

If the front end is tight and your tires are balanced correctly the stabilizer will help more on road than off, it will help keep you from developing bump steer(the sudden jerk of the wheel when 1 tire hits a bump).

post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 12:03 PM
Joker2002

I'm really sorry for sounding like such a newbie here, but I am! What exactly is involved when you say to "get the suspension as accurate as possible?" If it makes any difference, there is no suspension or lift of any kind on my Jeep. Does that change anything? Or did you just mean getting the front end aligned and things like that?

Joker2002
'93 Wrangler Renegade / 4.0L
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 01:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

basically, before adding the stabilizer, make sure the jeep doesn't wander too bad or have bumpsteer or death wobble (whole Jeep shakes as you drive at speed) or other driveline vibes (like from the driveshaft). Once your happy that the ride is as good as you can get it, then add the stabilizer to make it even smoother on road.

canis
'82 CJ-7/360/727/D300/cobra, M.O.R.E. shackles, 1/2" steel bumper, 1" body lift and lots of ideas!

'96 ZJ - 4.0L/42re/np242/optima/cobra and other goodies
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 01:52 PM
BMF

By the way in reference to your question about steering stabilizers being ordinary shocks, steering stabilizers aren't just ordinary shocks. THey work in both the compression and extension, up and down, or I should say side to side motion while shocks only work one way. So putting regular shocks on in place of the steering stabilizer won't work. Hope that clears it up a little.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 08:45 AM

Re: begging to differ

shock absorbers mounted at the wheels *do* work in compression and extension. They have to. Picture, if you will... a journey through space and time... to a place where a shock is working in only compression - wheel travel would be controlled going up (compression) then would rebound (extension) uncontrolled and cause bucking, rocking, etc. The reverse would also would be true if the shock was only working in extension... nothing would control the absorbtion of bump energy through the spring, it would be transmitted to the vehicle.
If you don't believe me, call Rancho and ask them what they use as steering stabilizers.

Another subject... you can't get weaker than the stock steering stabilizer. Even 30" tires can overcome a stock unit. The $40 for a new more HD unit is money well spent. Make sure the bushings, steering linkage and u-joints are tight also make sure bearings & ball joints are good - like others already mentioned.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 09:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

To agree with the last post...the Rancho steering stabilizer on my Ram, which is the one Rancho says belongs on it, came in the box with a NICE RS5000 sticker. Thats because its just that, an RS5000 shock! and it does provide resistance in BOTH directions...

mike

Give me Jeep or Give me Death!!!

(Will trade functioning organs for CJ-7 or flatfender)
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 02:08 PM
BMF

Re: begging to differ

OK, maybe Rancho's do work both in compression and extension but a lot of shocks don't. I know this cause I was recently talking to a friend of mine who works at a suspension shop about it, I used to work there to and this is also what the owner told me. They both stated that "most" shock only controll the the springs from snapping back to quickly and also that a steering stabilizer is way different from a shock in that they have to work both ways. By the way it took me so long to try and defend my point because I am finishing up putting a SM465 in my Jeep. Actually was put in a week ago but that low 1st grenaded a bunch of parts on the first run.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode