AC compressor - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2000, 05:17 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

AC compressor

I just got a 82 Eagle for parts,it has what looks like a fairly new ac compressor on it,the round cylinder shape type,anyway the brand name on its tag is
SANKYO can this be used as a air compressor?Or anyone ever hear of this brand? and BTW,about what rpm does a ac compressor need to turn to put
out max air without over reving it? reason i am asking is i was thinking of using it with a 11 hp vertical shaft gas engine to make a air compressor to use
in the garage just for airing up tires,etc.As for enough power to turn it its no problem,i was thinking of using a 3 speed transaxle i have extra out of a lawn tractor with a pulley where the wheel used be,and pressurize a 30 gallon tank and use air from the tank when needed,hmmm,a 3 forward speed air compressor LOL ,why not !

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2000, 08:03 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: AC compressor

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] (Sigh).....it sometimes seems like my whole life has been spent trying to talk people out of substituting "availability" for "suitability". Like just because you have an engine out of your uncle's '58 Edsel, doesn't mean it's right for your Jeep. In this case, the little rotary compressor is an OK A/C compressor, but you'll have a lot of difficulty and compromises making a decent shop compressor out of it. If you were to wait just a bit and locate a nice York, you could set it up direct off the engine with a half-twist in the belt and you'd have something that would do a good job for you. If you put a pulley on the engine....one which had nice deep grooves for the half-twist, it would be fine, and with the engine at a nice, easy RPM (1500) it would crank out decent air without driving you nuts from the noise. In fact, if you did it right, and put a DOUBLE pulley on the engine, you could drive a York in each direction; OR if you made a circular plate with holes for THREE Yorks you could make a six-cylinder compressor, or if you made bolt patterns for FIVE Yorks you could.........well, you get the idea[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] If that engine has 12V on it, you can cycle the clutches with the pressure switch, and you'd really be setup with your unloader and the whole shootin' match[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] transfer case team.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2000, 08:42 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Oh....and one other thing.....my moonguy-in-charge-of-power-transmission-components[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]can advise you as to the proper way to set up a half-twist belt drive.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] transfer case team.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2000, 08:49 AM
Keyboard Implanted

hey dave.. you mean like an old corvair?? i thought that was the worst thing i ever saw...

~~Elusive~~
it's sort of still a cj thingy....
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2000, 03:59 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] I thought that everybody had forgotten Corvairs[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]YUK! UHG! I have put in my time under those rascals dropping the engine to change yet ANOTHER broken clutch-to-transmission shaft[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] One thing about it.....you could never go hungry....if you kept a pack of weenies in the car you could roast them when the engine caught fire about once a week[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2000, 06:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yes i agree with you Dave about sutablity,but the idea was just to find out IF that compressor could even be used,and then only use it to pressurize a tank for airing up a tire now and then,plus using all that crap i mentioned to run it, just to tinker with it all.And not have to buy
much just to pressueize a tank.No,if i wanted/needed full time air for tools,etc i would go buy a 220vt heavy duty air compressor.As i am sure you know as well,this "idea" was one of those idle mind type things that we do so often when we dont have a project in the works at the moment.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2000, 06:52 PM

hey Lone Eagle.

Ive seen those same setups on a 81 AMC car,Ive been told they workl fine for light/occasional duty usage.
I asked a similar question last week, I think it was titled "sanden compressors" or something similar

Ive heard guys say they think the YORKS are overrated!

those guys said they usually squirt some duralube, or slick 50 or some such snake/miracle oil into the input every few uses..

OzarkJeep
77 CJ5, in a bunch of sanded and primered pieces
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode