YJ Tub Swap Door Alignment - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2001, 08:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

YJ Tub Swap Door Alignment

Well my tub is finally bolted down. I have the heater, battery tray, and the brakes installed now. The passenger side door was rubbing a bit before I bolted it down. I guess I straightened it out some when I tightened everything up since the door seems to fit in the door channel well with no rubbing. The problem I am having is that the windshield doesn't seem to line up with the front door edge. It's tight at the bottom and has a gap at the top. If I put pressure on it and push it down the door edge at the bottom of the front vent window edge is like touching. At the top there is about a 1/4" gap! I was using a YJ hinge on the drivers side and a CJ on the passengers side which did line up better. So I put the old CJ hinge back on the drivers side and it is no better. I don't have a complete set of YJ hinges to give it a try but i'm sure the result would be the same. Has anyone out there had this same problem. I know I need a new windshiled frame but I wanted to test fit the old one to see how things were going to line up after I put the doors on. The old one is practically rotted out at the bottom. Anyone got any pics of how their hard doors fit against the windshield at the front edge? Thanks...

David
Missouri

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2001, 09:32 PM

Re: YJ Tub Swap Door Alignment

I'm in the middle of a rebuild of a 84 cj-7 body, I replaces the floor and all the rear of the body, where the windseild mounts to the body and some patches on the sides, I found that when I finally put my doors back on they were way out of wack too, I had to cut the rocker panel and put a jack under it and straighten the door opening out. I'm still having problems but I just keep cutting and welding! if I can help you further just email me

Chad

84 & 76 CJ-7's Give me a striaght six cummins diesel anyday. [email protected]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 06:07 AM
Way Outta Control

The problem you have is not unique. Try the following:

1. Make sure the winshield is square to the tub. There is some movement. If it's skewed to one side then one side will fit agianst the doors while the other will not.

2. Loosen all door hinge bolts, on the body and on the tub.
3. Make up about a 1/4" to 1/2" thick by 1' cardboard strip.
4. Tape the strip down on the bottom door sil of the tub.
5. Slowly close the door.
6. Watch the door frame as it should just slightly clear, or compress evenly, the strip.
7. When the door's closed (and it should close easily.... no slamming or jarring it closed) then look at the leading edge of the door. Is the gap between the door and the tub even and straight?
8. If not, the correct the allingment using this as you're first alingment point.
9. Once alinged then look at the windshield gap. If there is still a gap, traditionally there will be a slight gap at the top.

The hard doors on my CJ hang perfectly and can be shut against the tub extreemly easily. Make sure the door post is correctly aligned to hold the doors against the body of the tub.

If there is a gap, and it may NOT be able to be adjusted out, then use some sticky back foam you can get a the hardware store and put a strip along the windshield frame.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 08:27 AM

Sounds like you don't have your windshield hinges installed correctly. If they're not aligned correctly, you'll get gapping. Also follow Leve's suggestions for properly aligning the doors. Check out Bestop's site for their Supertop installation instructions...if I recall correctly they give a proper measurement range from the top of the windshield frame back to the rear of the tub that might help with your alignment. The donor for the tub and which hinges you're using have nothing to do with the issue...the tubs & hinges are dimensionally identical.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode