Power Potential from a 231 V6? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2001, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Power Potential from a 231 V6?

I can pick up a Willy's jeep pretty cheap and it has a 231 V6 in it. What is the potential of these motors? Reliable?

Thanks in advance,

Chad
[email protected]
http://dcautocenter.com
'84 Extra Cab, 7" Skyjacker, 5.29's, Detroit, Hybrid, etc..etc..etc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2001, 05:06 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Power Potential from a 231 V6?

It is a good engine. I just put in a 4.1L (252) V6 in my Willys CJ5. Runs real good. The engine is reliable, parts are easy to get. I also had the 225 V6 before, and I liked that engine also. And with all engines, if you maintain it properly, it will treat you with reliability. Plus if you have a willys, chances are you have the stock running gear, and the V6 is a perfect match. Go to a V8 you really increase the chance of breaking things, especially if you like to give it lots of pedal. I don't know what the HP is for the 231, but if you really want some power with it, try to find a grand national turbo for it. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5 "Caloosa Jeepers" member

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2001, 08:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I not too sure about older 231 but the mid-80's ones were notorious for blowing intake gaskets. They can be a really good engine if you stick to a strict maintanence scheldule. Like I said not too sure of the older ones though.
If it makes you feel better GM kept these 231 3.8 in production and you can find them in the latest Monte Carlo's rated up to 185 HP from the factory. ,,If I remember correctly,,,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2001, 10:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Are you talking absolute horsepower potential. Before the Indy Racing Leauge, CART allowed turbo Buick V6's at Indy. They where said to be close to 1000 horsepower, and I believe they still hold the qualifying record. How about drag racing, NHRA banned Buddy Ingersols turbo Buick V6 from Pro stock competition when they realized the potential his car had. I do believe it was the first doorslammer running 6's, but I am not sure, because it was around 15 years ago. How about street cars, The Buick GNX is one of the fastest production cars ever made. I know, these are all turbo engines, but I do know of a naturally asperated 225 in a lightweight willys that can yank the front tires off the ground, at will. The Buick V6 has been around as long as the Chevy 350, so it can't be that bad of an engine.

Ray

post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2001, 10:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I wasn't mentioning full potential,,,just what pumped out straight from factory. This info I got from reading out of Motor trend a while back. I also read somewhere that they have some with a whopping 225 HP. That's impressive to pull from this particular V-6. The 231 3.8 liter I feel has come through the years. The older ones were probably good and the newer versions with the now regulated smog stuff was decent. I had one stock in my '83 cutlass and it put out good torque. After about 160k it blew the intake gasket. It was then from a couple of mechanics that I heard it not rare for the 3.8 liters to do that. Then today's version pumping 225 HP. It is an engine that has come a ways and has been evidently improved upon over the years.

Now about that V-6 rated at 1000HP I'm speechless,,I want one.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode