think my tranny is on its deathbed. =( - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2001, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

think my tranny is on its deathbed. =(

for the last couple days its been grinding 4th. last night it started grining 2nd in the same way. Only on the upshift not on the downshift. Just now I was getting ready for an oil change. I was at 7-11 and it started grinding whenever I let off the gas. The engine braking pressure made it make noise like crazy!!! what should I do? Where do I check if it has tranny oil from?? could that be the problem? low fluid?

-Tas
'89 YJ Wrangler, 4.2L, AX-15, 31x10.5" BFG AT KOs, no lift, 40series Flowmaster, Euro-taillights...

http://members.tripod.com/GRK_Taz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2001, 05:08 PM

Re: think my tranny is on its deathbed. =(

Try changing the tranny fluid and make sure the slave cylinder is fully disengaging the clutch. if it still makes noise, probably time for a rebuild. if you find a good used tranny, i may be interested in your worn-out one. just shoot me an email if thats the case: [email protected]. hope its just low on fluid! matt

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2001, 05:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: think my tranny is on its deathbed. =(

Those early YJ's(I know I have/had one too) have a troublesome interior clutch slave cylinder. Like mentioned above check that first, along with changing your gear oil. Try changing to a synthetic, like Amsoil.

Also make sure that you have the AX-15. '89 is when DC switched mid-year from the BA-10 to the AX-15. The BA-10 is split lengthwise(many describe it as a clamshell and about as durable as one) and the AX-15 is split horizontally to its length. They are the exact same length. If you happen to have the BA-10 ditch it and don't rebuild it. You will be much happier with anything else.

Jason

<font color=green>----------------</font color=green>
<font color=green>[]llll[] '90 YJ</font color=green> & <font color=blue>'88 Grand Waggie</font color=blue>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode