lift blocks - don't laugh! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2001, 02:44 PM
Joker2002

lift blocks - don\'t laugh!

Ok, I think that all along I've been confusing lift blocks for body lifts. I used to think that a body lift was a block of strong plastic or metal that was inserted between the leaf springs and the axle. However, I'm thinking that maybe what I'm talking about are lift blocks, but I'm not sure. Would somebody please take a look at the very VERY crude drawing I made and tell me if I'm correct. (To view the picture click on the attachment link above - "9-444534-lift_blocks.gif") Unfortunately, the leaf springs don't show up in the picture, but just imagine where they would be (directly above the lift block).

Joker2002
'93 Wrangler Renegade / 4.0L
Attached Images
File Type: gif 9-444534-lift_blocks.gif (4.7 KB, 2 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2001, 02:50 PM
BMB
Veteran

Post deleted by BMB

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2001, 02:54 PM

Re: lift blocks - don\'t laugh!

Either way lift blocks aren't an option for you since your jeep has the springs below the axle. Lift blocks in a SUA cofiguration would lower the jeep.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2001, 02:54 PM
BMB
Veteran

I think your on the right track now. Lift blocks go between the axle and leafspring or on some vehicles at the top or between the coils of a coil spring . A body lift goes between the body and frame mount. The body lift can be made from plastic or metal. The blocks that go between an axle and leafspring are metal, while the coil type spacers can be metal or plastic.

BMB

post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2001, 02:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Are you trying to do this for your YJ? If so the leafs are under the axles in your application therefor if you added "lift blockes" you would actually be lowering your jeep..

<font color=blue> Muddynut </font color=blue>
<font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] 78 CJ7 "Issues" </font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2001, 02:54 PM
jeepfiend

In an SOA situation, the lift block goes on top of the axle in order to increase height. There are some deranged individuals that use blocks in SUA situations, and this lowers[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] the vehicle. A body lift goes in between the frame and the body to raise the body only. Check out Sycho15's post on the WWII Flattie and you can see a fine example of exactly how NOT to do a lift block[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img].

Cage Up, Wheels Down
Jeepfiend
All my Jeeps are in pieces!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2001, 02:57 PM
Joker2002

Alright! Finally! It has taken me a long time to grasp this whole concept because everybody I've ever talked to has seemed to tell me that lift blocks were the same thing as body lifts. So lift blocks are in fact a type of suspension lift, considering they accomplish the same goal as buying leaf springs with more arch, correct? This seems like a much cheaper way to get the same effect as a full blown suspension system with new springs, etc. Are there any downsides to these lift blocks? (Besides the fact that my jeep is SUA and would be LOWERED!)

Joker2002
'93 Wrangler Renegade / 4.0L
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2001, 03:14 PM

DOWNSIDES???? Lift blocks are garbage. They would cause axle wrap and hop(snap go your axles), they don't increase the travel of your suspension one bit and they cause the u bolts that hold your axle in to loosen up which could cause the axle to fall out. Lift blocks are not a suspension lift, they are something ignorant people throw at their trucks so they can stuff oversized tires on them.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2001, 03:15 PM
Way Outta Control

IMHO lift blocks ain't worth the powder to blow 'em to heck and gone. A great percentage of the vehicle weight rides on those blocks. Then add in the twisting and torquing the frame and body do and you've got a lesson in disater waiting to happen. The blocks will fall out, shoot out, crush, crack, deform and other nasty things at the most inopportune time. The danger that block exibits is directly porportional to the height of the block.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2001, 03:34 PM

And don't forget that most aftermarket lift blocks are not made of cast iron or steel like factory installed blocks(yeah even the factories use them to softem the ride for the woman...no offense to anyone on the board, I meant soccer moms who have no need for a truck)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode