Full-size drivetrain under cj - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2001, 02:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Full-size drivetrain under cj

Has anybody put/run chevy 4-spd and 205 case under a cj-5?? If so does it stuff under there pretty nice?? Or does it hang down much?-losing clearance? The Gm 4-spd and 205 boxes are huge compared to a T-15 dana 20 from a CJ.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2001, 02:48 PM
cj7jeep

Re: Full-size drivetrain under cj

Have a sm465 and np205 under a cj7. I copied JEEPN's design for adding strenght to the crossmember. The crossmember is in the stock location.The np205 has a high rear output, on a cj5 this will mean a pretty steep rear driveshaft.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-444536-jeep6a.jpg (49.7 KB, 0 views)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2001, 08:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

In your pic it also looks very steep shaft angle but that's also a SOA set-up right? I wonder if SUA set-up is still going to be OK for the drive shaft.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2001, 08:46 PM
cj7jeep

Yes, SOA with 4" springs. If you need any measurements let me know. I didn't think about SUA, it probably wouldn't be bad with a mild lift.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 12:33 PM
I Do This For The Glory

That puppy is gonna be huge.

I am running 5" SUA, but it's on the Scrambler. My rear shaft is 32" long, and since a CJ-5 is 20" shorter, that'd make it 12" long (I know it's not 100% linear, but you get the idea). My point is, I think it'd be REAL short if you don't move the engine forward AND run a CV shaft. I'm not saying it can't be done, I just don't know of anyone that has done it. I have heard of people running SM465/D300 in a CJ-5 though, that's nice a short.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 01:17 PM
jeepfiend

Just move the everything back until the output is directly over the input and solid mount the rear axle. Attach a couple of sprockets and run a chain[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]. Low air pressure can compensate for the lack of suspension[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]. Seriously though, those are big boxes in a CJ5. If you are running the stock Chevy setup, the marriage adapter alone is about 8-10" long. I am going to use that combo in my 59 CJ5, but I am stretching it to CJ6 length. I would move everything forward as far as possible and maybe even remote mount the radiator in the back. You would still need a CV rear driveshaft, or a Rockwell toploader rear axle [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img].

Cage Up, Wheels Down
Jeepfiend
All my Jeeps are in pieces!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 09:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah that's what I was afaid of. Those are huge boxes to stuff under there.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2001, 10:45 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

CJ7 jeep,,,,,was looking at the picture of your jeep and your 465 /205 set up has a long coupler between the transfer and tranny... Know what this is?? I don't recognize it. I thought the 205 was fairly a direct bolt up right on the back of the tranny.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2001, 11:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Nope, the adapter for a 465 to a 205 is a good 7-8 inches!! Thats the only downfall of this setup!! It works good in a scrambler though!!

It's as close to a 1ton as it can get and still be a jeep!!! Gotta love it!!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2001, 11:21 AM
Keyboard Implanted

we just dropped in a sm465/np205 with that same 5" coupler between the two.. in a cj-5... jeepn is right.. its 12" on the nose.. he is going to run a cv shaft.. rear output of the transfer case is 26 degrees.. and the rear axle pinion angle is 24 degrees... tom woods makes cv shafts as short as 9"... so that is where he is getting his done.. will have some pics of it after this weekend.. since we are also putting in scout axles front and rear... at the same time.. and doing a soa.. shackle reversal..

http://www.jeepgod.net

84 CJ-7 401/T-18/D20/D44/D60w/4.10&Detriots/YJ frame & tub/35x16x15 Boggers
<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode