Children and Jeeps - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2000, 09:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Children and Jeeps

My two kids (three and Four 1/2) were almost as excited as I was to get this Jeep CJ-6. They love climbing around in it and cant wait to take it in the woods. My question is more on the lines of safty for them and not for good looks or curb appeal. Is there a good way to put seat belts in the rear? I would prefer shoulder belts and may even put another rollbar in the rear to give a place to put the belt and for rollover protection. Also is there a better seat that I may retrofit maybe a s10 blaser rear seat or something. I thank you and my kids I'm sure would thankyou as well

Jim

The first time I fell in the mud...
I realized I belonged there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2000, 10:05 PM

Re: Children and Jeeps

Not sure about Missouri but in Pa. you have to keep little ones in child safety seats. So I would say start by adding lap belts to the existing seat so you can hold down the child seats. Add the roll bar for extra protection. I'm not sure that a S-10 or Cherokee XJ rear seat would be a good idea since they both fold down and come in two pieces. Maybe a front bench seat from a S-10, Commanche or similar pick up would be better. My kids really liked our XJ when they were that age and still love it today, 12 or 14years later. Good Luck!![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2000, 10:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Safty first is always good. I would look into Beard seats, I know that they make a rear seat for Jeeps. Adding to the roll bar for the rear is a good idea. The latest CJ& that I purchased came without a roll bar, I plan to build a custom roll cage that is tied into the frame befor I let my daughter go along wheeling.

Enjoy the Jeep

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2000, 10:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

MO laws also say that child seats are to be used but my 4 1/2 year old is above the cutoff and out of the seat. What about 2 lowback buckets with harnesses, (do they go small enough for kids) or maybe one of those old subaru brat seats they used in the bed ,anyone remember those.

thanks Jim

post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2000, 10:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Why not find a used CJ back seat? the one in my cj has seat belts bolted to the frame of the seat, and bolts to the floor with 5 bolts. A roll bar from a 76-77 CJ-7 would make an easy starting point for a cage, but it only bolts flat to the rear fenders and body - you would want to install some risers from the frame to make it rock solid. Just my 7 cents(inflation, you know)

Bob N

Bob N
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2000, 10:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The Jeep seat would be a good Idea(sometimes the obvios is overlooked) I assume the belts atatched are lap belts ? Also there is already a rollbar like in most CJ's but with the extra length and the rear seat 3' from the front seats it just doesn't look safe for rear passengers.

Jim

post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2000, 10:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Mine has the lap belts. Look to the later Wranglers for the shoulder belt version. Maybe one of the YJ guys could give you more info on how those mount. Maybe a Wrangler rollbar would solve the top mount problem if you're going to use shoulder belts.

Bob N

Bob N
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2000, 11:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

My advice would be to build a family cage that is tied into the frame. If you can't build it then draw up a rough design and take it to a fabricator. I had my cage built at a drag racing shop b/c I don't trust my welds with my life. You could then sleeve the tube and get shoulder harnesses from some place like 4wd Hardware and then put either a CJ, YJ, or a fold and tumble rear seat in.

Tim Springer
1980 CJ7
<font color=green>WALSTIB</font color=green>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2000, 11:23 PM

The only issue with the stock CJ/YJ rear seat is whiplash protection. My son only goes in the back seat if we take the full child seat out of the van and put it back there. When he rides with me every day to drop him off at pre-school, he sits up front in the passenger seat with a booster seat...the booster seat manual plainly states not to put it on a seat where the child's neck is above the top of the rear of the seat. I'd like at Beard seats or squeeze a pair of high-back bucket or racing seats in the back (CJ & Early YJ will just barely fit between the wheelhouses...this is what I'm doing with my Scrambler). As far as the cage, you can just have a 'family' section added to it and attache the shoulder harnesses to it.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2000, 11:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks a ton for the info, I think I'm sold on a pair of high backs in the rear with a family roll cage . I have a friend thet makes tube aluminum racks for ladders on trucks and they look strong and are incredubly light anyone know if this would be strong enough?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode