Junkyard CV Drive Shaft?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2001, 10:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Junkyard CV Drive Shaft??

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the rear driveshaft off of a Bronco II can be cut to fit a YJ with a SYE. Does anyone know if this will work or have you tried this? Thanks for your help.
Kris

I do the same thing every weekend, its just the location where I do it that changes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2001, 12:15 PM
Veteran

Re: Junkyard CV Drive Shaft??

I haven't tried it but anything can be made to fit. If you just need to shorten it a chop saw will work and then weld it up with a sleeve inside or outside the tube. The only problem area is balancing. If it's a trailer queen don't worry about it but if it's a daily driver you want to have it balanced by a driveline shop.

'91 YJ,I-6,2.5" lift,Boomerangs,33s,D30,D35c,Lock-Rights F&R
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2001, 01:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Many Grand Waggies have CV shafts on the front, but they are small diameter tubing. Still adding thicker tubing to the CV and such could be cheaper than having one custom built...add a waggie CV shaft to a tractor PTO driveshaft and what do you have? A long travel CV shaft.

Jason

<font color=green>----------------</font color=green>
<font color=green>[]llll[] '90 YJ</font color=green> & <font color=blue>'88 Grand Waggie</font color=blue>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2001, 01:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks,

I would think that it would work, I would have to have it balanced it is not a dailey driver but it does get driven to and from the trail, but that is cheap, I am working on a budget here, but do not want to compromise strength, I would think that Ford would use genuine spicer parts and it should be pretty strong. I will have to look into it farther, thanks for your help.

Kris

I do the same thing every weekend, its just the location where I do it that changes!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2001, 01:21 PM

I don't see why it wouldn't work, the broncoIIs used a 1310 u joint just like the wrangler.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2001, 06:21 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I don't know U-joints so well, but would this work on a Dana 20 to Model 20 of a CJ?

Fritz

Jeep...need I say more?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 10:56 AM
Addict

I would question wether or not they are spicer parts. My company makes 3 million flat flanges a year and every one of them has the ford oval cast into them. As far as I know most of fords driveline is machined at or thru Visteon wich is no longer ford.

If your kidneys don't hurt, it's not a real Jeep!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 11:54 AM

It might not be a spicer part, but it is an interchangable part. My explorer uses a spicer yoke on the rear and the one on the TC is stamped ford but the front and rear joints of the driveshaft are the same size. basicly any u-joint in a rear wheel drive aplication can be cross-referenced to a spicer#. When I had the rear shaft of my wrangler rebuilt and balanced they used spicer joints, but when the joint blew from driver error(too much right foot) I replaced it with a napa joint that I had as a spare for my explorer. Same joint only the napa one wasn't made by spicer.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 02:00 PM
Addict

You're right. If anybody ever needs any pinion flanges, flat flanges,or slip yokes for fords, drop me an e-mail. Odds are we probably make it or have one laying around.

If your kidneys don't hurt, it's not a real Jeep!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 02:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have the SYE from RE(flange style), and the bronco style will fit, just take it to your local machine shop, and they can cut it to length,and true it up... if you have a yoke SYE you can get a cv from the front of a waggy, or a 79~f150(dad has one stock)front... also the front tjs will fit too..

JR
'94YJ,4cyl,33SX's,Locked F/R,NV4500,Soon to come:Wagoneer 44 Scout 44 & spools
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode