Extending front shock mounts?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2001, 09:58 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Extending front shock mounts??

I would like to raise my front shock mounts on both the chassis and the body, the axle is easy but what about the chassis? I was think about cutting off the top of the mount and fabbing up a triangular extended mount. Anyone dont anything like this?? I would love to hear some ideas and see some pictures.

Kris

I do the same thing every weekend, its just the location where I do it that changes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2001, 10:05 AM

Re: Extending front shock mounts??

If you are real good at fabbing stuff up just go to MOREs website and take a look at theirs. The front ones are real easy to copy and the backs shouldn't be too hard. It's always better to come up with something original but when it is something so simple, might as well copy it.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2001, 11:42 AM
Pooh-Bah

The MORE kit is very nice setup. Another option is to get the Ford F250 front shock towers from a 79. I bought mine thru the Ford dealer for 25.00 for the set. Figured out where I wanted them then welded them on. You could bolt them on as well though, they have holes for this. I am able to run a Rancho 9012 in the front with the longer Ford pieces.

pbm
74 cj5,304,t18,2.46 ts d20,30f,44r,soa,MORE buggy front,35's,Rci's,5pt,full cage,air,etc.
78 J10,360,727,d20,44f,44r,35's,4" lift,etc.
<font color=red>Support Search and Rescue.......Get Lost!</font color=red>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2001, 11:56 AM

Do the ford peices work on YJs(there are different shock mounts on the frame between wide track CJs and narrow tracks)?

post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2001, 12:15 PM

Yeah, Jimmy, they work great on a YJ. I have been running them for years. They cost about $10 apiece from Ford, and they are very versatile, you can position them where ever you want. I only cut away enough of the stock towers to slip the Ford mounts up through it, and then used the stock towers as a sort of gusset. I raised mine to a position about 3" above stock location, which works perfect with R9012 shocks, for maximum droop and compression.Just ask for a set of 89 F250 towers. they will get you the right part.

Jeff
89 YJ
Wow, you can get a nice tan on your arms, from welding with no shirt on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-444387-Mvc-006s.jpg (23.3 KB, 0 views)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2001, 12:19 PM

Ooops wrong pic

Jeff
89 YJ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-444392-Mvc-005s.jpg (44.3 KB, 0 views)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2001, 12:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Here is a picture of what I did with my CJ. I basically just took the stock mount and extended them using some square tubing. I extended them up about 6.5 inches. So far they have worked great.

84CJ7 SOA,35's,OnboardAir,Dual winches,Full Cage,Snorkels, and more
OverMost 4WD Club
JerseyWheelers Club
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-444432-9-339497-Shock1.jpg (73.1 KB, 1 views)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2001, 01:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks guys thats what I wanted to hear. Do they bolt to or weld to the frame on the Ford truck? If they bolt on then maybe I could grab a set next time I am at the bone yard, heck my guy there would probably let me have something like that for free if I was buying something else.

Kris

I do the same thing every weekend, its just the location where I do it that changes!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2001, 03:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

They have bolt holes in them stock, so I'd imagine they are bolted on the Fords. Don't know for sure though.

Jeff,

It looks like you used the sway bar mount on the spring plate or something for the bottom mount.

I was thinking of just using the stock Wag mount, but that seems to put the shock (9012) at just 3" less than full extension, limiting droop.

Is that why you didn't use the stock mount on the Wag tube?

Thanks,

Charly

You say tomato, I say fawk you.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2001, 07:42 PM

Charly,
I just welded new shock mounts out of 1/4" steel to the back of the tubes, out of harms way. I started at the bottom mount and worked my way up to establish the hieght of the upper mount. I used the top of the spring mounting plate to mount the steering stabilizer though. That was the only way I could see, to keep the steering stabilizer perpendicular to the tie rod.
The entire front end, steering, lift, and suspension, works very well. By like Ive always said, its really nothing fancy, its just a simple set up, that works.

Jeff
89 YJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode