Found "Old Army Jeep" in FL Bargain Trader (pics!) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2001, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

Found \"Old Army Jeep\" in FL Bargain Trader (pics!)

It took a few phone calls before I finally got ahold of the guy to ask some questions and for directions. It looked like an M-38 from the picture, but he said is was a WW2 Jeep built by Ford... I just barely managed to keep my voice calm about such a find for only $600.... It has no drivetrain and the stock axles are SOAed with some big lift blocks to clear 36" tires [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] I decided to have a look and, as always, take some pictures.

Can you see why I thought it was an M-38 from the picture in the Bargain Trader? One-piece winshield and typical CJ-2/CJ-3a/M-38 grill. I even checked the headlights- they dont pivot [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Hmmm... It says WILLYS on the hood, so this shouldn't be on a Ford GPW either...

Its tough to tell, but it still has the C shackles, some kind of steering crap, and of course that stupid SAO/block combo on the D25 front axle....

The dash hasn't been too hacked up at least...

New floorboards were welded in. This is way thicker than sheetmetal...

The only thing that could make this truck worth restoring (to a restoration freak at least) is (most of) the FORD script stamped into the rear.... I'll admit that I ran my hand over it a few times to make sure it was real. I wonder how many countries this Jeep has been to?

The Dana 23 Full-floating rear axle...and that crazy suspension

The rear axle's hub sticking out through the rim.

Rear fender tool-boxes

Inside a fender- you know its tall when 36s aren't even close to the fenders

Interior shot showing more of that steel half-cab hardtop. This thing must be top heavy!

Interior shot showing the thick floorboard and the gaping hole in it and the firewall. The engine must have sat right through the fireall a bit!

Anoter interior shot, of the pedal area...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2001, 10:33 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Re: Found \"Old Army Jeep\" in FL Bargain Trader (pics!)

Hold on a minute. The rear axle is a what? It doesn't look full floating to me with the view of the stub sticking out through the rim. I have a 23-2 axle, not sure of where I got it, but it's a lot different from that, which looks like a D41.

Man, what a hack job, I wouldn't give $600 for it, maybe $100, but that'd be about it.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2001, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

You may be right about the rear axle. It just doesn't look like any D41 I've ever seen before. I've only seen one 23-2 before, and it didn't look quite the same but I figured I'd just list it as stock and see if anyone noticed.... Well- ya caught me!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2001, 11:59 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Now that thing is nowhere worth $600. If someone buys it, i will go crazy, cause i cant even sell my other CJ5 for $500 and it is mint compared to that. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
It is amazing what people do too lift a vehicle. The half cab hard top is cool though.

Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5 "Caloosa Jeepers" member

post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2001, 12:21 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Kinda looks like a 41, but maybe not. Check out http://www.coloradok5.com/axleguide.shtml. I sold my CJ-2A's and they're over 100 miles away anyway or I'd have a better look.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2001, 01:45 PM
jeepfiend

It looks like about the only thing military left is the tub.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] The rest of the Jeep screams CJ2 or maybe a 3A. The grill is CJ, the rear is a Dana-41. It almost looks like someone got a GPW tub and put it on a CJ2. The CJ2's have a vin plate on the left frame rail, on the outside just behind the front bumper. Check and see if the vin plate on the frame is still in place. I passed up a CJ2 the other week that was in a lot better shape than that one. And they only wanted $500. It looks like about all you are getting there is a title and a VIN to use for a build-up[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img].

Cage Up, Wheels Down
Jeepfiend
All my Jeeps are in pieces!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2001, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

I'm not buying it- knew that when I pulled up! I was pretty much just bored yesterday and thought it would be cool to see a Ford Jeep [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode